Turkey Creek Hot Springs

Turkey Creek Hot Springs is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Silver City, NM and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

A tricky trail to follow but a wonderful destination. With multiple river crossings and often the need to walk in the creek, Hiking sandals are the best bet for footwear. I did this hike on a warm spring weekend and It was a little unnerving to find that people had driven trucks pretty far out into the wilderness. Before the final Gila river crossing I came across several large parties with sprawling campsites. Once I entered the canyon and began heading up Turkey Creek the hike was much more peaceful. Hotsprings, swimming holes and flat shady camping spots beneath the cottonwoods make this a great overnight.

My intro to this trail was almost twenty years ago, now since the cat is out of the bag on this unique and beautiful trail I will rave here. Imagine a four season hike through prime riparian habitat with a hot spring destination. We need to keep the public informed of this fragile and still potentially endangered area of the Gila wilderness due to Four wheel access along the canyon bottoms right to the wilderness boundary! I hike in sandals keep to the flood zone along creek to avoid impact on the more fragile slopes and terraces, unless there is a trail.