Stable Mesa

Stable Mesa is a 17.2 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Jemez Pueblo, NM that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible year-round.

(UPDATED) Directions from ABQ: US550 to NM 4. After 9.5 miles, turn left onto NM485. 485 turns into FR376. After @12.5 miles from where you left NM 4, you will see a "road closed sign & gate. Park near it. The trailhead is across the bridge on your right.

Directions from ABQ: US550 to NM 4. After 9.5 miles, turn left onto NM475. 475 turns into FR376. After @12.5 miles from where you left NM 4, you will see a "road closed sign & gate. Park near it. The trailhead is across the bridge on your right.

Whenever the trail forks, keep left. The first 2 miles or so is a moderate hike. The last .4 to the top of the mesa is steep with lots of loose rock. There are some great views to be had from the top where it is fairly level. Definitely doing this one again.

this trail is great but if you don't get good directions you won't find it. I suggest getting 60 hikes 60 miles Albuquerque for directions and a basic map.

The direction to the trailhead is either wrong. or we were lost. before we got to FSR 376 we never found old peggy mesa rd. however the gps had us heading on FSR376 road. This road is very narrow only one car at a time for serveral miles. lots of blinding curves. The road was/is maintain very good no ruts or holes. The drive was colorful in reds, yellows, and greens. some of the pull outs were the better part of this trip. Just sitting on a rock listening to the river rush by. the trailhead I checked in on my app. But no trail was visible to us. we walked towards the woods down to a stream crossed it and up a steep hill still no trail. The trail was a bust, but the day was great to be outdoors.

I really enjoyed this hike. It has some great views of the Nacimientos and some nice rock formations up top. The first Mile is easy enough but the next mile or so is chocked full of scree that is very loose and it is very steep, so be careful. Once on top, it is very easy. I'd allow 4 hours at least to enjoy thoroughly.