Nambe Lake Trail

Nambe Lake Trail is a 6.2 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, NM that features a lake and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from May until October.

Great hike/trail run!! Last mile is strenuous but worth the work. Light traffic on the trail and gorgeous during the fall.

The views up at Nambe lake are totally worth it!!!

amazing experience! hike gets rough but totally worth it.

Such a beautiful hike! Steep climb at the end, but worth it.

Best hike we've done. Steep at first and then again leading into the lake, but totally worth it!

One of these best trails. Once off of Windsor it's pretty much uphill to the lake but well worth the effort! Allow plenty of time to take in the views going up the trail to the lake, then time to relax and enjoy the beauty of the lake and its surroundings. I highly recommend this one!

Great hike off Winsor Trail. Started at Santa Fe Ski basin. Steep at beginning and then again on approach to the lake. Altitude 10,000-11,500 ft adds to the difficulty. Follows the beautiful Nambe Stream to the lake which is a clear shallow lake in a glacial bowl. Great scenery the entire way with flowers, stream and meadows. About a 6-7 mile round trip.

A lot of bang for your buck! Yes, there are some switchbacks early that are quite steep, but it levels off for a while before climbing again. Gorgeous in the fall.

Awesome! Hard to wade in lake because of silt though.

Great hike. Initial climb quite challenging for a lowlander still adjusting to the elevation. Views at the lake make it all worthwhile.

My wife and I Hiked this trail today with our two dogs. The trail head was very easy to find and parking was abundant. My first concern with some of the information is that I do not believe this is a 6.2 mile loop. I used my Garmin Fenix and on the way in got 5.2 to the lake, which is not correct because I took a detour and then made a wrong turn at the wilderness boundary area (go thru the fence gate, do not follow the trail to the right). However, on the way back we kept to the trail and came up with 4.2 miles. I think this is closer to a 8 mile round trip then 6. Climbing is a bit tough. Where as I am not an "expert backpacker" like some on this site, I am in fairly good shape and found it somewhat challenging. We had to stop frequently because of the dogs. For those that are not used to the altitude or capable of climbing 1,600+' in less then 1.5 miles, this might take a couple of work up hikes. The trail is well marked and well maintained, however, there are a few other trails that intersect that are not on the map. If you are not paying attention, it is easy to get off the trail in some places (all after you get on trail 400 and off the Windsor trail). I do believe,however, that all trails eventually re-connect. While on the Windsor trail if you cross the stream ( it is pretty prominent) you went to far; then if all else fails you can simply turn right and follow the stream to the lake. I know, what a novel idea, right? Once you get onto trail 400 and are heading to the lake, water is available at any time. Once you get to the lake the views are breathtaking. As another said, our little trails in NM may fail in comparison to that of the PNW, but I found this trail every bit as beautiful as most things we experienced in Sequoia. There are two meadows that you can camp in and this could easily be a nice overnight trip.
One of my biggest complaints, and this is not unique to this trail, is the amount of people with their dogs off leash. We seemed to be the only people who kept their dogs on leash the entire time. When I asked one guy to leash his two boxers (I have a German Shepherd and a Lab) and informed him that it is the law and they must be leashed, he just ignored me and stormed off. Please remember, even if your dogs are great and friendly, not everyone loves dogs and not all other dogs react well to fellow pups. Be fair to others and keep your pets on a leash.

It was challenging but fun. I would tell anyone fit enough to do it.

Awesome

My wife and I hiked to top of baldy yesterday. Easy and lovely drive from Santa Fe. We loved how pretty it was. Just like Colorado. The trail was about 7 miles ea way. Starts at end of road near ski lift area. First .7 are straight up. Lots of huge pines and aspens. Water about every 2 miles. At top wind was really strong and we were cold. Trails were well marked. Also many pretty meadows.