South Crest La Luz Loop Trail

South Crest La Luz Loop Trail is a 3.2 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Sandia Park, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Easy forest hike above 10k feet. From the trailhead head south along the paved trail to the right of the restrooms. A few hundred yards along the trail the pavement will turn to dirt. There is an intermittant rail, always stay to the left of the rail. At 0.25 miles the trail will turn sharply left and ascend a stairway. Take the stairs to the top. At the top turn hard right and look for the fork in the trail. Take the right fork to Crest Trail #130. The trail will switchback through the forest most of the rest of the hike. At 0.55 miles the trail forks. Follow the left fork for Crest Trail #130. At 1.6 miles reach the Sandia Tram Platform. Return via Reverse Route.

excellent and well worth it saw 3 mule deer great views from the crest.

beautiful hike. hard to follow the exact trail, some signs had trail names, some numbers. We ended up hiking almost 5 miles. gorgeous area, great views, tons of wildflowers, Aspen trees, different mosses and lichens. Bathrooms and trash at trailheads and at halfway point at High Finance restaurant. Bathrooms are in the lower level, you do not have to enter the restaurant or make a purchase to use them.

Great hike on a Sunday! We started from the top of the tram and dropped down the La Luz trail. The up to Sandia Crest and back to the Hi Finance for lunch!

Nice easy trail

Great trail with great views

Beautiful views!!!!

Nice trail. Good views.

Great day, well groomed trails

I went with a couple of friends after work today. Still some snow on the trail in places, which can make it kind of slick. We had a great time. I think if I hike that trail again I will go backwards and knock out the La Luz portion of the loop first.

I loved it. It was the perfect time to go. The trees were changing colors. 10/17/2015

Fun family trail. We did it when mom and dad lived in Pako, behind Sandia mtn.

Nice shady trail, probably on the easier side of intermediate.

My children and I went this weekend and had a great time. It was a crisp 44 degrees and the sun was shining. I had no idea the 10,000 foot elevation would have such an effect on my breathing.

My husband and I were married here 20 years ago! Going back in a few weeks with the kids and can't wait to take this hike!

Beautiful!!!

Beautiful hike through the forest and at the peak. Easy trail-slightly busy but great views and cool crisp air! Take the back route through Placitas for amazing views all the way up! Even saw a bear near the peak! (In our car thank God!)

Awesome hike. Beautiful views from the west and the cabin is sweet.