Red Dot and Blue Dot Trails

Red Dot and Blue Dot Trails is a 6.9 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Los Alamos, NM that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

The red dot and blue dot are two different trails. They can be combined into a loop.

Bring lots of water!

I did the Blue Dot to the River Trail and up the Red Dot Trail and yes the Canyon Rim Trail isn't marked as the others. Still made it back and enjoyed the day.

I did the Blue Dot trail. It was absolutely gorgeous, and there's even a small swimming hole by the river. I would warn about finding the Rim Trail after hiking back up out of the canyon. It was tricky to find and we lost it for a while, which left us scrambling over large boulders. Still fun, but something to watch out for!

My Friend and I completed the blue dot to red dot loop. The scenery around the river was wonderful and there was a beautiful spring fed creek with a lovely little pool. Once we hit the Red dot we were surprised by the large number of red paint splotches that were placed almost every 5 feet and occasionally twice on the same rock. An occasional red marker would be fine. The blue dot trail did not suffer from this.

The canyon rim trail back to the overlook park trailhead was not fantastic, but it was overall a nice day.