Picacho Peak Trail

Picacho Peak Trail is a 2.8 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

This is an easy/moderate trail that has two entry points. You can traverse over from Atalaya for a nice big day of hiking. I really love the 360 views. It's a great trail for snowshoes/yak traks in the winter.

Lovely hike with beautiful panoramic view at the top. Moderate in difficulty. I enjoyed the views and wildflowers along the way as well.

I've run both little Picacho and big Picacho several times. I like this trail because there is a decent amount of shade at all times of the day. I run with my dog and usually encounter a handful of people every time I go out, but not ever so many that the trail feels busy.
It takes me about 45 minutes to do little Picacho if I come down the longer way (a hard right after coming back down from little Picacho) and about an hour and 10 min. to run Big Picacho doing an out and back and not opting to add the little extra distance.
The trail has a lot of switchbacks and gets rocky as you near big Picacho, but it is not a difficult hiking trail. There are great options for adding distance by connecting to other points in the Dale Ball trails.
I usually park in the lot near the intersection of Cerro Gordo and Upper Canyon Rd. If you pass through both green gates to the right, cross the stream, and immediately go up and across upper canyon road,
You will see a wood post with the Dale Ball trail marker.
There are wonderful views in all directions as you near the top, very rewarding trail!

Beautiful scenic hike with meandering switchbacks and a nice 1100+ ascent over about 2 miles, summiting at 8570. Gorgeous vistas of the valley below and distant peaks. Can continue another mile or so to hit Atalay mountain or shoot off other trails along the way. I would rate this as a moderately strenuous hike, however.

Good trail, great hike. Moderate to a bit strenuous for me. Kept a good pace up and got in a good workout. May take it easier next time and enjoy the experience a bit more. View from the top is definitely worth the hike. NOT a waste of a few hours. Will be putting this on my list of favorites.

Am I really the first person to notice the complete misspelling of the name of this peak by All Trails? It's Picacho Peak, not Picheco! I live in Santa Fe, have climbed it many times and I drive on Picacho Street in my neighborhood.

As for the hiking, instead of climbing Picacho from the parking lot on Upper Canyon Road, you can park at the trailhead lot on Camino Cruz Blanca and follow the Atalaya Hill trail to the top of Atalaya Mountain and then continue on to the north to Picacho Peak. Then you can follow the trail that leads down from Picacho back to the trailhead lot on Camino Cruz Blanca. I think it's about eight miles total. I strongly recommend doing this with someone who is familiar with the loop because there are a couple of places where the signage isn't clear, but once you have it down, it's the best close-in hike in Santa Fe, in my opinion.

Quick, pretty hike with great views and a well-marked trail

This is a great little trail to take if you have a half day to kill in the Santa Fe area. You'll find lots of great veiws.

This is really an awesome trail to have right on the edge of town. Depending on your pace the climb to the top is 45 minutes or more. The switchbacks on the way up over look Santa Fe and the Jemez and the view from the top over look the above plus the Santa Fe Watershed is beautiful There are three alternative routes down form the top of Peakacho.

The first (continuing in the direction you were walking upon arriving over the peak and down the front) comes out at the Audubon Society. While you should not take dogs through this property they are allowed on the rest of the Peakacho Peak trail as it is part of the Dale Ball system.

The second is to walk back to the T where you turned left to make the 5+ minute accent to the peak and head in the other direction, which takes you to Atalaya.

The third is a right turn on the path to Atalaya that circles around towards Wilderness Gate and back to Upper Canyon.

Was not spectacular, about average

NO DOGS ALLOWED!! This is a bird watching trail.

Fun climb to top of peak with great view of Santa Fe and surrounding area.