Picacho Peak Box Canyon Loop Trail

Picacho Peak Box Canyon Loop Trail is a 5.5 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Las Cruces, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, birding, and horses and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Picacho Peak is a 4959-foot high peak just northwest of Las Cruces. It is a volcanic mountain composed of rhyolite (mostly quartz and feldspar) that solidified at the surface approximately 35 million years ago. The recreation area has over 15 miles of mountain biking, hiking, and equestrian trails. Activities Hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding, nature study, photography, picnicking and OHV use limited to existing 4WD routes. Facilities One shaded picnic area is available. Restrooms and drinking water are not available.

I completed this hike in December. Quite windy. I found the hike to the peak to be easier than the Box canyon trail which was very sandy in spots. I recommend doing the peak first and the box canyon . With the exception of entering from Shalem Colony Trail this can be accomplished from either the north or south peak loop routes. I also found this Southern route to be more than 6 miles (similar to the base loop), rather than the listed 5.5 miles

Great quick hike with long lasting views.

I tried it twice. First time with an old friend,but did not make the top. At 81 and a 20 year old we made it to the top. Clear and a beautiful view. Thanks to our Grand Creator, Jehovah God.

Great

We started at the end of the Burke Ranch Road went to the peak , then took the Box Canyon Trail to the left. Before to get Box Canyon Dr, we cut and walked by the arroyo and hills directly to the end of Burke Ranch Road. Peak, Box Canyon and arroyos are amazing places to visit, it took us about 6 miles but exciting, we recommend.

I just did the direct trail to the peak... fairly easy to make it up in about 30 minutes, with a moderate climb rate. Nice views in all directions. The dirt/sand road in to the parking lot is a little rough and branches off in various places with no signs, which isn't very helpful.

Nice short easy hike with great views. Recommend doing this hike before May or after September. I imagine the trail is very pretty when the different kinds of cacti are in bloom. We found a geocache at the peak. Pay attention to the pink markers to guide you on the trail since most of the trail markers have fallen down.