Perk Ridge Trail

Perk Ridge Trail is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Ruidoso, NM that offers the chance to see wildlife. The trail is rated as moderate offers a number of activity options. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Loved this trail!.. It is a loop if you combine T93 & T92 - we started at T93 trailhead and the first 2 miles is super easy and pretty, right through the forest. Then you start to climb more and it's kinda steep but not complicated and still a great trail. When you get to the top you'll follow the trail as it winds left a while and if you just keep going until you turn back the opposite direction you'll end up going through a valley looking part with piles of wood everywhere then you'll hit T92 and its marked... Go right and you can follow that back out to the T92 trailhead and walk the road back down to your car at T93 where you started. I wouldn't want to do it the other way backwards though in my opinion.. My gps said 5.41 at the car. The trail was great and nothing I thought I couldn't do. I'm 50 and my husband is 60 and were used to hiking 4-7 milers so it was fine. We snacked where T93 met T92 up top and it was peaceful and beautiful the whole time on this trail. Well do it again next time we're here!

I already reviewed the first half & returned to finish. As I stated earlier, this trail is much better if you include the Perk Canyon trail to make a loop. I again started at the Perk Ridge trail route then branched off a single track trail that runs parallel to the main trail but more scenic. Towards the end of this trail it starts to wind & get a little steeper. Once to the end, it joins with the Perk Ridge & levels off to flat terrain again. the area is creepy as hell. There are piles of felled tress/branches all over the place-you feel like you're in a Blair witch movie. I would recommend stopping to relax here. We then took the Perk Canyon trail back. It is very scenic & peaceful. The grass is green, trees are pretty tall, you hear birds everywhere & follow a nice brook with a cool little wooden bridge at one point until you end up at the starting point for both Perk Ridge & Canyon trails.

Great trail with great views

Moderately easy trail with some steep inclines and declines with some points of hopping over fallen trees. Trail had some really awesome views and fun all around. As of difficulty I would give it a 2.5 out of 5.

This trail was really fun I would definitely not recommended going up through the right side of the trail if you are not able to climb steep slopes. There is a pretty high graded slope. Once you get to half of the trail it is all down the valley and you begin to see the meadows! This part of the trail is used more frequently and there are so many flowers and lots of wildlife !

some great scenery and views with some challenging up and flow ridge tops

Great trail, one half is steep and challenging. Other is perfect through green meadows that follow a river down in a valley

We hiked this trail recently and had a blast! it had a good bit of up hill and several great views. We also saw a huge wild turkey who wobbled away after being spotted. Good times!!

Nice loop trail, with scenic views toward the top. Had snowed a few inches the day before but most of the trail dry today. That's NM for you!

Great trail. Wore the family out.

This was a beautiful trail , our favorite so far had some easy areas and some moderate to hard areas .

The trail had a lot of beautiful mountain views but it also has a LOT of sharp inclines and declines with loose rocks. Almost rolled my ankles about a millions times. Other than that it was good.

Perk Ridge trail is a lot of fun, and definitely check out Perk Canyon as well, it's a few miles away, just find Perk Canyon Road and go to the end of the pavement the trailhead is right there. There's 3 big gap jumps 10-15ft, and the trails is fast and smooth, lots of fun.

This is listed as an in & out, but you can easily return via the Perk Canyon trail to make a loop. Getting there is confusing due to the nature of the streets. We ended up on the wrong road & had a local cuss us out after we asked for directions! Take Sudderth Rd via US 70 through the heart of Ruidoso until it ends at a traffic circle. Go right on Main Rd & stay on until Ebarb Rd, take another right. Ebarb goes uphill & twists around (you're not lost) until you see Perk Canyon Dr on the left. Hang a left on Perk Canyon & it eventually ends at Perk Canyon Trail (T93). If you have a good 4x4 you can continue up the road but it is washed out & severely rutted. At the top is Perk Ridge trail. (T92) While rated easy...it is uphill most of the way & at 7,000ft altitude-you get winded. The first half is mostly a wide, rocky road with great views of the forest on either side, as the name implies you are on the ridge. Eventually you get to a Trail marker w/ stones at the base. Take the detour right! It is a barely there single track trail but it is much more scenic as you wind your way through the trees. On that section we encountered several large white tail bucks & I had a pair of Ravens performing several flybys. You will continue uphill & meet up with the wider trail. We started late so had to turn around before meeting up with the Perk Canyon trail but I definitely plan on returning earlier to do the whole loop. There are so many areas on this trail to climb trees or wander off & explore & the deeper in you hike, the more wildlife you encounter.

This one is close to town and we hike it a lot in the evenings. It is an in and out trail, no loop. Always a lot of wildlife here and usually the first little bit of trail is heavily traveled.