Penasco Blanco Trail

Penasco Blanco Trail is a 16.5 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Placitas, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October.

My family and I just completed it and we enjoyed it. Of course we had out AllTrails app, but we didn't need it to find our way at all.
Yes, there was some scrub to go through and yes you may get a few scratches on your legs, but it was a good trail as a part of our 11 mile hike.

Terrible! Absolutely impossible to follow especially in its northernmost overgrown section, even, in my opinion, for an experienced hiker. I got lost in the bushes, my legs look like a battlefield from getting soo scraped up, and I ended up having to back track at the end of the trail and go a different rout. Added 3 extra hours to my hike. I would not recommend this trail for anyone.

Not a trail for beginners. This trail is very hard to follow at points and without a GPS unit and pre programmed waypoints, I could have gotten lost. This trail is not used often, and is much more difficult to navigate than the crest trails. The northernmost mile of the trail is pretty overgrown. Certain points are marked with stone cairns to prevent from getting off track. About halfway there is a very old dead tree with a marker that labels it as the "Brooklyn Bridge Tree". If I remember right it was dated from the late 1800's. That was the most interesting part of the hike. Other than that you will be walking most of the trail through scrub forest with few overlooks. One of the most painstaking hikes I've been on in awhile.