Pecos Baldy Lake

Pecos Baldy Lake is a 15 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Mora, NM that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and horses and is accessible from June until October. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

This was my very first backpacking trip. Coming from an elevation of 3300 to 9000+ was sorely underestimated. I had the worst headache when I arrived at Baldy Lake. Not to mention I waaaaay overpacked for the adventure. The trail was very nice and serene until you get to the area where there was a fire, then it's just a bummer and downright creepy. I was surprised to see a cow in the middle of nowhere. I wanted to trek up to Truchas but my headache kept that idea far from reality. I'll be returning though.

We camped on the saddle overlooking the lake on our way to climb Truchas Peak. This entire wilderness area is really quite amazing, full of spiritual energy that is borderline spooky at times. We heard a really really strange noise that sounded like a muscle car peeling out, really really loud too. Problem is, there are no roads forever out there. Anyway, lovely gorgeous place with the friendliest most happy white mountain goats I have ever met. :). Leave no trace :)

Great hike with beautiful views. No snow on trail. Did not summit Baldy. Lake area very breezy and chilly; glad we had our down jackets packed.

Deep drifts in woods on main route until mid summer. Alternate route up north summit is dry. Big horn sheep....