Monte Largo Canyon

Monte Largo Canyon is a 4.8 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Belen, NM that offers the chance to see wildlife and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from February until October.

nice hike family had a good time besides the fact there was a bee hive in the trail and we had to find another way around. I got stung on my pinky and head,lol. Only completed 2 miles.

This was a nice walk. We were only able to walk .7 mile. The trail was overgrown in places. We were able to walk around and contine the hike. However; what made us cut our hike very short was signs of BEARS. Many, many, many Very fresh bear scat on trail. The dirt road to the trailhead is good from the black top to TH. The last 3 mile is very rocky. I drove my KIA car, and some places were dicy. We just had to slow down the last 3 miles. At 5 miles from black top there is a cattle guard with a barb wire gate. Please close gate after entering and exiting. At the trailhead is a pipe horse correl at NE corner of the parking area. The parking is a fenced in area. The trail starts at the opening in the pipe fence. The trail starts out flat and rocky. be careful. after the flat area it smooths out to a nice dirt trail. you can either hike on the North or South side of the arroy. The south is shady while the North is an not maintain dirt road. You can not drive on this road. The forest service installed 6 feet monds of dirt to block the road.
We Voted early

This is an OK trail by New Mexico Standards but if you are itching for mountains when it is still kind of cool, then this trail is warmer than most and there are some interesting rock formations. There are some springs that run into cattle tanks here and there and there is a stream bed, but I would not count on the stream. The last time I was there in March it was dry, even though there had been decent snow melt this year.

This is great hike. plenty of water in the stream earily in the year. has some nice rock formations. stock tanks and fire pitts line the trail.