Mineral Creek Trail

Mineral Creek Trail is a lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Glenwood, NM. The trail is rated as moderate and primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, and nature trips.

The Trail allows hikers to enter a real mountain canyon system w/plenty of colorful rock formations! Mineral Creek also provides opportunities to view the historical mining town of Cooney, Cooneys Tomb, and a number of mining operations along the trail and great flora. Rugged in places and you must cross the creek a lot but oh what a trip. Lots to see and plenty of hiking in the area.

This is our very favorite trail that we have hiked in New Mexico. It is absolutely gorgeous! My 11 year old son says that he thinks this is what heaven is going to look like. There is foliage, wildflowers (at the right time of year, of course!), waterfalls, fabulous rock formations, soaring canyon walls, and a natural stone arch. You have to hike through the creek to stay on the trail, but that is part of the beauty of the trail. This is good hike for children--my 6 year old did it with me and my 11 and 13 year old children. We just love it, and we will be back soon!

fly fishing

Fished this section several times always love it

Fantastic trip that will take you through a sheer walled canyon with water to the old ghost town of Cooney and beyond if you wish. There are some nice geologic features including a nice arch if you keep your eyes open. There is lots of flora in this canyon too. Great trip. A side note, you can stop by the roadside on the way to see Cooney's tomb and read the colorful story of his life and death, but the tomb is on private land so be respectful. It is OK to look at but remember it is private land.