McCauley Hot Springs

McCauley Hot Springs is a 3.8 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Jemez Springs, NM that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Love this trail, when I can find it. Couldn't find the right trail on my first attempt. Found it on my second, and got lost but found it again on my third. You need to find the trail with the hiking symbols (4 inch circular brown signs with a hiking man) posted on several trees along the way. If you're on the trail without these, wrong trail. Some people say to follow the ribbons, but I don't have luck with those. The springs are very nice. Not hot, but warm. The little fish nibble on you. You can continue on the trail past the springs to Jemez Falls. The trail from Battleship to Hot Springs is moderate. From Hot Springs to Jemez Falls, I'd say difficult in some spots. Not for little ones due to difficulty and path follows cliff edge. 4 miles total with Hot Springs being the half way point. Enjoy!

Views are amazing but the trail really is rough. Didn't do the whole loop because there was no marker for where the trail heads once you get half way. Got lost trying to follow the trail through the app with GPS it was like it wanted me to start walking down a cliff o.o so I just turned around and went back the way I came. Got lost for a little while but thankfully someone ribbon marked the trail at a point. Would do it again though for sure

Didn't finish since we had a our daughter, but what we did hike was great!

Definitely NOT easy. The trail is poorly marked and recent fires have made it difficult to follow. Note that the hike to the springs is almost entirely uphill and the trail has many fallen trees across it and loose boulders which you have to climb over. Once a good trail that has been seriously neglected.

Great trail, definitely not an easy one, but not too crazy. Hot springs are "warm" which is great in the summer to cool off!

Great hike, it's beautiful...but this is definitely more of a moderate trail rather than an easy trail. Most of the trail steadily climbs up to the Springs and it can be quite hot, but there are many shady areas along the way. Just take plenty of water! The Springs are nice, crystal clear and warm. Can get a little busy at times. I'm sure I'll be back!

Just a quick addition, I would rate it "Moderate" not Easy, for the reasons stated below.

Great hike with excellent views, but people need to be prepared and pay attention as there has been too many trail cutting, making it difficult to stay on the right trail. It can be steep and makes a long steady climb, often exposed to drop offs and the hard packed dirt and loose rock makes for easy slips. It is cool at either trail head but parts are exposed to the sun and it gets hot! Please bring lots of water, and be prepared to carry your trash out.
I volunteer on the local SAR team and hike this trail weekly; we do numerous rescues every year for broken bones from falls and heat exhaustion or altitude sickness. On my regular hikes I often need to give someone my water, get them back on the right trail and always, without fail have to carry other people's litter out (I usually abandone this hike after Memorial Day because the traffic and yeah is such an issue).

Gorgeous trail. Steady climb but well maintained and not difficult. Didn't reach end because I had limited time but the views and the while experience were spectacular. Can't wait to do it again when I have more time.

Awesome

Hiked from Battleship Rock. Had a great time. Brought the dog on his leash and, though it was steadily steep the whole way to the warm springs, we all made it without too much struggling. Good times.

Fun hike, good views.

We started on the East Fork trail and hiked to the Jemez campgrounds, which was a nice easy hike with a cute wooden bridge. From there, we went to the Jemez Falls, which was also easy (and beautiful) and then back to the campground to hike the 2 miles to the McCauley Springs. I used my GPS and MapMyHike to track this trip, which was 2.5 miles each way, not the advertised 2 miles. The warm springs were nice and refreshing. The hike back was challenging at times, which was partly due to fatigue and lack of planning in terms of snacks, but also partly due to some relatively steep inclines. It is mostly uphill on the way back, which can be deceiving because we thought it was mostly uphill on the way there!

Great!

So today we hiked up so the springs. I guess we didn't really go to the right area cause we didn't make it to the springs. Beautiful hike even though we got lost. Hope to actually make it there one day.

I like it! Super easy good for relaxing~

Pretty hike...the directions are not marked too clearly though. Make sure you follow the blazers and stick to the area that follows the river. I would not call this a hot springs however; it is more of a luke warm springs...at best.

This was one of my first hikes I did when I moved here. It is a beautiful hike especially if you can go during the week when it is less crowded.

My boyfriend & I went here last weekend. We had a blast! The trail is a little difficult to follow; however, keep looking for orange ribbons tied to trees & stumps. These will keep you on your way.