Lower Rio en Medio Trail

Lower Rio en Medio Trail is a 7.8 mile out and back trail located near Santa Fe, New Mexico that features a waterfall. The trail is good for all skill levels and primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Can you camp on this trail?

Great scenic hike and falls. Very little parking though.

Limited parking. Great trail, including a small field of wild roses!

The day after monsoons dropped their life giving waters into this canyon that was glad to shape them into many different cascades, I briskly threw one foot after the other until reaching a spot beyond the well worn. Removing my stained garb and old raggedy boots I placed my steps into the water surprisingly cool but refreshing. Hiking back with soothed ankles was a blessing from nature. Climbing back into my home thoughts of renewal in the purity of the experience flooded my soul.

One of my all-time favorite hikes. Easy with a couple of challenging spots, shaded in the morning and follows a beautiful stream (what we in NM would call a river) and then ends with a gorgeous water fall and pond, perfect to cool off after the hike.

5 stars-not 4!

My daughter and I hiked 5.1 miles in and then back out. Felt it was THE most beautiful trail ever! The trail braids its way up on either side of the river so beautifully acvomplished by 9 stream crossings, all doable (just fell in once)! Do go further than the first waterfall since the waterfalls up higher are even more lovely. Really like the one that looks like a 4 story waterslide with dark green moss framing either side. Wild flowers abound! We were basically alone on the trail, making it serene and beautifully quiet. The trail is not well marked as to distance and we felt uncertain about making the entire loop since distances were not posted and we estimated might be longer than 8 miles. We turned around where the trail forks to either continue Rio en medio or Borrego trail.

My wife and I did the hike with a 1, 3, and 5 year old (the day after completing tent rocks slot canyon trail); we nearly made it to the waterfall section (about 2.5 miles in) when a massive thunderstorm came over the ridge and the kids started complaining that they were too tired; the kids absolutely loved the creek crossings and scenery. Parking is very limited, we waited about 15 minutes for someone to return from the hike to get a parking spot. I'd love to come back and complete the entire trail. The only thing I didn't care for was the .5 mile of barbed wire hugging the beginning of the trail.

Nice trail for a warm afternoon hike. Mostly shaded and the stream was nice and cool. The waterfall section is the highlight of the trip.

One of my favorite day hikes. Various options for distance but approximately 2.5 miles in is a spectacular waterfall with a pool below the is great for kids, dogs or just cooling off. Only moderately strenuous. Hike above the falls provides additional great scenery.

Great! Plenty of shade for our dogs. The stream was nice and relaxing.