La Luz Trail

La Luz Trail is a 7.2 mile moderately trafficked point-to-point trail located near Sandia Park, NM that offers the chance to see wildlife and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and trail running and is accessible from March until November.

7.2 miles 3270 feet Point to Point

This trail at the north end of the Sandias goes from the base of the mountain to the peak at 10,678'. Beautiful views of the Albuquerque valley to the west. Trail starts at around 6500' in elevation and is fairly easy walking. Eventually getting steeper with switchbacks and altitude starts to affect you. It doesn't help to rest. Keep moving even at a slow pace. A steady pace will get you to the top in about 3-4 hours. If you dawdle it will take you longer. My druthers is to park a vehicle at the base of Sandia Tram, drive a second vehicle to the La Luz Trailhead, walk up, have lunch at the top and ride the tram down. You could also ride the tram up first and then walk down, or do a shorter hike from the top or the bottom. If you do the whole hike, make sure to bring plenty of water.

Started off hiking the Tram way trail. I was feeling great when I came across the La Luz trail. I met a really nice couple who informed me that it was a moderate hike up until the rock slide area. They said if you make it to the rock slide you may as well continue to the top. I agree with everyone the rock slide is the toughest part of the hike. I worked my way to the summit and the views from the top where absolutely breathtaking. This was by far one of the toughest hikes I have ever completed but was completely worth the trek. I was too tired to hike back down and like most I took the tram back down. All the hikers I came across were really nice and encouraging as we made our way to the summit. I will certainly be doing this hike again but not until my body has had a chance to recover.

We clocked over 10 miles, so I'm not sure where the 7.2 miles came from. It is a beautiful hike. We started at 8:30 am and got to the top at noon.
it was chilly but due to the strenuous climb it felt great. We took the tramway down. It was $15/person

My car got broken into at this trail head. I had nothing out in my car, but my wallet was in my locked glove box. My car was the only car broken into and my wallet and everything in it was stolen. The officers told me this happens at the trail head at least once a week. I'm working with police to try and catch the man, as he tried using my credit card where there was a surveillance vid camera in town. Do not park here or at the surrounding trail heads if you are a woman, even if you aren't alone.

geocaching

Took lower tram to la Luz trailhead = 2.6 miles
Parking at tram is $2. Tram ticket down is $15

From la Luz T with tram trail I went to the top of the la Luz. From there go left to get to the very top - another .5 miles @700ft incline

La Luz is challenging, but if you are modestly fit and have 2Q water and plenty of hiking food you will be fine.

GORGEOUS!

More like the La Suicide Trail!! This trail is so scary! one wrong step and you are finished

We were so glad to have done this hike. We started at the base of the tram (this added a couple of miles walking on the tramway trail, until you connect to La luz), and finished at the top (took the tram down). The views are amazing, and the higher you go, the better they get!!
I recommend taking plenty of water and snacks (my 11 year old son needed these).
I cannot wait to do it again!

Very nice trail, so glad we did it while visiting ABQ. We arrived at 7.45am (Saturday) and the parking was already full, the hike up is fairly easy for the first 10km and all in the shade if you start in the morning. We hiked up to Sandia Crest House and from there to the tram (appr. 3 hours 45 min). Originally we planned to take the tram down but spontaneously decided against it. The hike down was nice but a bit long and very hot as all in the sun (3 hours). Moderately trafficked, take water & snacks.

Amazing views of Albuquerque. Favorite trail in ABQ!

loved it

One of the most popular hikes in Albuquerque, just over 14 miles round trip. Highly recommend.

It was a workout. Bring lots of water and snacks, and take breaks.

It was Amazing!!!!!!

Challenging yet rewarding. Hiked up to the tram, rode it down, then caught a ride back to my vehicle parked at the trail head on pinon pl. Excellent views that make the strenuous path worth your while.

Lived here my whole life and can't believe I waited that long to do it. Can't wait to do it again. Agree that you should take two cars.

Great trail