Jordan Hot Springs

Jordan Hot Springs is a 12 mile out and back trail located near Datil, NM and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from May until November.

The hike to these springs definitely pays off when you get to soak in the hot springs. Such a beautiful place here in the Gila Wilderness. I recommend bringing water shoes for the many river crossings. Also check the weather ahead of time, it rained up the canyon and the river rose a few feet. Had to hike out a day later to wait for the river to recede in order to cross. Such a beautiful place to backpack and camp to. I'd say it was moderately difficult.

Exactly 15 crossings to get there. Camp sites near by. Clean area. Beautiful!

The total hiking distance from the TJ Corral will take you through varying types of terrain and ends after snaking across the Gila River some 15 times. Flooding has washed out much of the trail but watching for rock cairns and simply following the middle fork from the Little Bear campsite will get you there with no problem. Look for a green area with warm water flowing from the mountain face to locate the springs. It's worth the effort once you find it.

Absolutely gorgeous hike to the springs! It has been incredibly washed out from the flooding in 2013 but it is still beautiful. Bring appropriate water shoes as there are many, many river crossings....water sandals with wool socks is a good idea as it will keep the sand from irritating your feet (I know this from experience).

A Beautiful hike through the Gila wilderness. The hike to Jordan is approximately 12 miles from TJ Corral, which can be done as an overnight backpacking trip or an adventurous out and back trip. I recommend overnight, at least one night. I first hiked to Jordan in May 2013. The hot springs was the last stop on a four day backpacking trip from Snow Lake to TJ Corral. An overall 44 mile trip. An amazing trip. When hiking in the Gila water shoes are a must as there are many river crossings. Pack plenty of extra wool socks. Trekking poles are a great idea which give you extra stability when crossing rivers. Nights get cold in the Gila, so prepare for 10 degrees below what you read in the forecast. Any trip in the Gila is worth every step. It's a beautiful wilderness I can't say enough about. My favorite wilderness.

This is an excellent hike. Its about 12 miles round trip. The first 2 and half miles are the worst part of the hike. You climb about 700 hundred feet through scenic high desert vegetation, with several beautiful vistas. At 2 and a half miles you descend into Little Bear Canyon, which provides good shade and some amazing photo opportunities. At 4 miles you'll come to a well maintained campsite along the Gila River. This is a great spot to stop and camp if you're not interested in getting a little wet. My wife and I counted 19 river crossings over the last 2 miles of trail to Jordan Hot Springs. The water level was about knee high for most of the crossings, but there were several that went up to mid thigh. The river current was never strong enough to make my wife or I feel unsafe. We thought it was a blast. After the 19th crossing you'll come to a small creek that is noticeably warmer than the Gila River. Follow this creek up the hill past several good campsites to find Jordan Hot Spring. The best campsites are right above the spring. The spring itself is absolutely beautiful. We couldn't believe how perfect it was. If you're going to be in New Mexico or West Texas for more than a week, this is a must see. You won't regret it!

Helpful tips:
1) Bring at least four pairs of sox and/or another pair of boots. My wife and I hiked out in our wet boots, and felt fine after we changed our socks at the Little Bear Canyon campground
2) The trail head is a little difficult to see before you make your first river crossing. Just head straight across the river from the Little Bear Canyon Campground and you'll see the trail on the other side.
3) If you have a GPS plot the coordinates of Jordan Hot Springs (See the track I've uploaded). We had to look for the spring for a few minutes.
4) Don't stick your face in the hot springs. The water has some bacteria that can cause meningitis if it gets in your eyes or mouth. We spent about three hours in the springs and were just fine, so its not that big of a deal.
5) Bring booze