Hermit Peak Trail

Hermit Peak Trail is a 8.1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Las Vegas, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, camping, nature trips, and horses and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

The peak is named for the Italian religious recluse John Augustiani, who lived there in a cave he had dug into the earth around the time of the U.S. Civil War. His cave became the subject of pilgrimage by some devout New Mexicans, during his life and for a number of years after his death.

This trail was gorgeous. Lots of loose rocks as mentioned below- wear good shoes with ankle support! We started really early (my pup and I) to avoid hiking in the hot sun- definitely recommend as the beginning and end of hike have little shade or tree cover. Excellent spot to see the view and take a break about a mile short of the summit. So, so beautiful. Would absolutely hike again.

This is a great trail and the view is astounding. Great areas at the top for camping and just relaxing on the cliffs. It is a great wooded hike but the switchbacks get steep and then steeper. Loose rocks are annoying on the way down but worth it. We were at the top in 2.5 hrs.

It was amazing! I would recommend it to anyone who loves a good hike. Make sure to give yourself enough time up so you can enjoy the view and as well have enough time to get down before dark.

May 27-28 2016- I wouldn't say the trail was hard in the aspect of difficulty. More like frustratingly suckish. The reason being is at least 80% of the trail is nothing but loose rocks. Don't get me wrong, the end result was well with the trek and even my wife made it up (and she's not even an outdoorsy person). We backpacked our gear and stayed on top of the peak nestled in the woods. There was a plethora of fire wood and the spring at the top was a very nice amenity. We made it up in 4 1/2 hrs (due to the wife) and I made it down solo in 1 1/2 hrs. Only rolled my ankles twice. That being said, be careful coming down cause the rocks will definitely do you in if you're not watchful of your next step.

Excellent trail and very challenging. there was some ice blocking a part of the trail so we had to find an alternate route. Overall great experience.

Very beautiful and very challenging! Took me awhile to complete it but I took my time and rested often! This was my first big hike in the SW on a cross-country road trip. Wear good hiking shoes and watch your step, especially coming down! Would definitely do it again.

The trail had a few nice views on the way up, a few nice rock formations, but ordinary in general. the mountain was somewhat unique in that the mountain top had a flat meadow on top. Great surrounding views. The trail itself was rocky, some washout. A very steady climb up the mountain with out much relieve. Would do it again.

This was a very difficult hike for me and my friend. We do some hiking but this was pretty intense. The trail is well marked but is very rocky. the part on the hardest was the incline going up to the peak. I was disappointed I couldn't make it all the way up because we were moving so slow, I've always wanted to do that hike and we'll have to try again sometime. This is such a great forest spot and the campsite at the base of the trail is so beautiful. I cannot recommend this enough to those of you wanting to do a extreme hiking challenge.

It was an amazing hike and the views from the top are amazing. My friend and I were severely under prepared because we weren't planning on a hike but did it anyways with only old, falling apart shoes on our feet. It was worth 100% worth it and would recommend it for anyone who is near or passing by the area.

Two of us backpacked up this trail after snow had fallen earlier this month. Some snow still there in shady spots. We packed about 35-40 lbs each and the trail is like a creek bed after the heavy rains recently. We had no maps or good trail descriptions, partly because of the gov shutdown, the Forest Service opened back up the day we went there to get info, but the person there was like a newly hatched baby duck and could not provide us with a good map. Then she sent us on a wild goose chase because she thought the Gallinas Canyon road was closed, it wasn't , and that took another hour on a different road.
All that said , when we finally made to the top, we had a great experience especially the full moon rise that evening and the sunrise the next morning.
Because of my age and conditioning it took us 4 hours going up and probably 3 coming down.
Saw golden eagles . It's pretty neat to view them from above. Missed the cave though as we did not know to look for it. Spring was good and there is a second spring about 2/3 way up the trail where we resupplied with water.

Main trail is rocky & degraded. Lots of day traffic. Spring near the top is not always reliable in these days of climate change & drought. Bring extra H2O just in case. Best on the full moon---awesome!!! An annual trek for me & my bro's. A pair of Peregrine falcons have an eyrie on the cliff face near the Hermit's Cave--often seen in the summer.

Earlier in the spring I made it up in three hours spent a nice couple hours on top and then three hours back down. Suggest trekking poles for the downhill for sure. My 60 year old knees sure appreciated those poles. Awesome views from the top!

Great place to watch fireworks on the plains below around 4th of July.

This is a great hike. When you get to the peak you can get an echo off a lower rock face that is pretty far away. It's a beautiful part of the country.
It seems like a long hike up, but you come down real fast