Gila Cliff Dwellings Trail

Gila Cliff Dwellings Trail is a 1 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Silver City, NM and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round.

From the town of Silver City, take NM 15 north. The road winds its way for a total of 44 miles, and a sign near the beginning notes that to get to the cliff dwellings may take as much as two hours. Trailers over 20 ft are not recommended. At about 24.9 of the 44 miles, you come to the junction with NM 35. Continue on 15. At about 41.3 miles, a sign indicates the Cliff Dwellings to the left. After turning left, the road dead ends at the Cliff Dwellings Trail parking lot in about a mile.

Went years ago, great place, but definitely off the beaten path

Great view into the past!

As previously stated, the drive there is long but this is due to the road being very narrow & winding. I routinely take my sportsbike for a cruise from Truth or Consequences to Silver City (Dwellings are almost halfway between the two) bc the road is very difficult. The plus is that the scenery on the way there is fantastic. I spotted many places to hike for next time. The dwellings themselves are pretty cool, given the historical significance & awesome location, but it isn't very large. The hike is nicely shaded & very easy. I'd compare it to a stroll though a park. One of the rangers acts like a drill sergeant (we were sternly told to sit in one exact spot & not move an inch because of lightening in the area, so my friend & other trapped hikers spent a few hours being as annoying as possible)...but the others are very nice. If you're looking for some good hiking, there are better places. If you want to spend a relaxing evening driving, taking in the views, & seeing a really cool historical place, I recommend it. Note: of the many places I have hiked, this was one of the few that I did see rattlesnakes.

As we drove through Silver City, NM, we made the two hour drive out to this park. I’ll admit, by the end of the day, I’m not certain the two hour drive is worth it. But if you love history, you should get out here. The city in the cliff is incredible, with so many small rooms and buildings, it’s easy to imagine what it was like to live there. The hike up isn’t bad, with plenty of spots to sit down if you need to. And the city is easy to access with a smooth hike back down to complete the loop. Worth visiting, definitely, just know it’s a long trip.

Easy short hike to the cliff dwellings. There's an outdoor kennel on site that you can keep your dogs in during the hike. The cost is $3.00 per person, change is a only available at the visitor center 2 miles up the road. No food or candy allowed on the trail.

A very historic site and an easy hike. It's amazing that the dwellings are in good condition after 700 years, even the wood used in the original construction is still intact. Highly recommended to visit if planning a trip to the Gila National Forest. The visitors center is located at the start of the hike and is open from 9 am - to 4 pm I believe currently in the summer season.

My wife her Parents and I did this hike it is very interesting and educational well worth for families to do.

I've done this trail a couple of times. It is beautiful, mainly because it has a lovely stream running through it at the bottom and then the trail leads up to an ancient Indian village carved into the cliffs. The docent leads a talk about it if your patient enough to listen to it all. I enjoyed just thinking what it would have been like to live there. Its very short but could be difficult for those that have trouble walking. It has a bit of an incline.

Did this hike 3 years ago with my husband and we both really enjoyed the features on this trail. It's a very short hike leading up to some pretty spectacular ruins that entice the mind to think how life was in these beautiful mountains so many years ago. It's quite fascinating. Since this is an interpretive hike the trail is very well maintained.

This short trail takes you back to ruins dating back to the 1200"s. Very interesting. Well worth the trip. There is an admission fee of $3, at least is was in 2004 when we visited. Nice visitor center also.