Cloud Climbing Rail Trail

Cloud Climbing Rail Trail is a 2.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Cloudcroft, NM that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible from May until November.

rails trails

a lot of different views! such a fun trail. you can't actually walk on the wooden tressel which was disappointing but over such a good hike.

Great trail! We walked with a 6yo and it was good for her age. I will recommend for families it require average condition.

Hike was great. Plainly, I would recommend it to anyone

great trail for scenic and historical views.

Awesome overlook of a tree-filled valley, nice shade for more than half of the trail, really enjoyed it overall. Plan on going back soon with a proper carrying solution for our 3yr old as carrying him on my hip most of the way was definitely strenuous and kind of took away from the experience.

This hike is great. You start at the top and hike all the way down. And of course you have to go up all over again. The terrain is not that rough, what gets rough is the climb back up. Make sure you bring water, more than likely you will need it if you do the loop. You will hear lots of birds. They are hard to spot we carries photo gear and dos the hike with out any problems. I am no means in great shape and was able to do it. The last 0.2 miles were a bit tough but doable. Good luck and enjoy it.

One of the first hikes I ever went on. Loved it

We hiked this trail just as a reminder of days gone by. We grew up in the area and we always hiked and played and went inner tubing in these beautiful mountains. The trail was great. Super easy! Don't forget the Bridal Veil Falls Trail. It has some elevation change but nothing to worry about. It has some history to investigate.

This trail was really difficult for us to navigate. It was me my hubby and our five kids. We couldn't understand all the different trails and which way we were supposed to go and ended up hiking 6 miles that day and just had to track back because it looked like there was no stopping point. Trails were nice just confusing. We plan on trying it again once we go back. Pls msg me if anyone has any advice on making this a shorter trail for our kiddos. We loved the OSHA trail though!

Overcast day, trail was a little wet, but very easy trail that one could do well in tennis shoes or light boots. Trail is clearly marked and well travelled. Beautiful walk thru the woods and wonderful vista's of the Mexican Canyon Trestle Bridge and the surround area.

Light snow on the trail. We started from the mexican trestle viewpoint, hopped over the barrier and went through the valley to the other side of the trestle and started from there. Light snow on the trail made it a good one. About 3.6 miles that day.

Took the long way around, from parking lot and looped around to other end to the lookout, which is I guess what most people hike to which is around two miles. The loop we took covered 9.5-10 miles. Was a very nice day when we approached the look out it started to rain on us. We were out of there just in time to from being poured on. Was a nice hike.

I took my 3 young kids (2 nine-year-olds and a five-year-old) on this hike as a day trip from Las Cruces, and we all really enjoyed it. The season recommendation for this hike is spring or fall because of temperatures, but we did this hike in the summer to take advantage of the 15 degree temperature difference between Las Cruces and Cloudcroft. It also helped that most of the hike was through beautiful, shaded old-growth pine forest. The only "lesson learned" with this hike was that the trail naming at the rec area was not the same as AllTrails indicates, and the driving directions didn't take us to the trail head -- they took us to a nearby residential neighborhood. The trail head is actually on the opposite side of SR 82, just follow the signs for the Trestle Rec Area for parking. The trail head is behind the depot replica. The Cloud Climbing Trail itself is really the overarching name for the trail network in this area, so the signs you'll want to follow are for Mexican Canyon. We ended up inadvertently taking the Cross-Over Trail toward the opposite side of the mountain than the trestle because I didn't realize I should be following the signage for Mexican Canyon instead of Cloud-Climbing Trail, so we never did see the trestle. However, we all really loved the area, and we plan on going back this fall and making it to the trestle this time! All 3 kids were still smiling when we got back to the car, despite the heat and the 5-mile, multi-elevation hike we ended up doing, so I consider that 5 stars! Also, we had our black lab with us, and he was warmly received by everyone we encountered and found lots to explore.

Fun trail. A good little day hike for light hikers and kids. It has a nice view of the Mexican Canyon Trestle at the end. It's mostly down on the way there and up on the way back.

Great trail. The fall colors were amazing! We took our three pups. Wish we lived closer so we could walk this more often. There are quite a few other trails located in the area that aren't on AllTrails.

This trail is part of a much larger system of the old railroad track from Alamogordo to Cloudcroft. You wouldn't know it was a railroad track if it weren't for the informational signs and the old tressel bridge. The views are gorgeous! The trails are well maintained and they vary in width from jeep trails to single tracks with the majority of them being somewhere in between. They are well marked and shelters are placed at the major trail intersections with maps and directional signs, it is easy to find your way around.