Cebolla Mesa / Big Arsenic Trails

Cebolla Mesa / Big Arsenic Trails is a 8 mile out and back trail located near Questa, NM and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November.

Did the short out and back from the campground. This is a very well developed and maintained trail. Unfortunately the BLM built
really ugly shelters at the bottom of the gorge. Walk up stream from the main spring and there are some wonderful panels of petroglyphs.

Came here yesterday with my two dogs. It had rained and snowed two days prior so the road was crazy muddy. If I hadn't had my jeep I would have been stranded, for sure. But as the day wore on, the road dried more and was much easier to travel back than it was coming in.

Once we got to the trail it was too narrow for two dogs and my self and too steep for my more senior dog to walk back up. So we just walked around the mesa top instead. It was beautiful. Still worth the trip.

Views were awesome on Big Arsenic today! Went all the way down to the water. The Rio Grande did not disappoint. My little Chica hikers made it as well they are 5 and 7. Take lots of water and utilize the shade trees. It is a fun trail with a rewarding good time at the bottom... But then remember you have to hike back up. 1 mile each way.