Cave Creek Trail

Cave Creek Trail is a 5.6 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Tererro, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, fishing, and horses and is accessible from May until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

cave

All along this trail covered in August was lush foliage and the sporadic moss hung from it's branches. Nowhere were the screeches, and festering words, "my precious", to be heard. Upon this bewitching cut through the Santa Fe National Forest was but enchantment and the desire to abide forever within its trunks, to watch the forest age. It's cave I found thirsty and swallowing a portion of the creek in an attempt to quest it's watery depths, down into the throat I went only to find it's thirst in a darkness unfathomable.

Excellent for the family. We went in August with 3 kids, two in backpacks. the trail is not steep but still challenging and gets your heart pumping. The caves are very cool making it a great destination out and back trail. We left from trail head at Ponchuela. We would do this again in a heart beat. Be advised there is one significant creek crossing. I would expect your shoes to be wet.