Carlsbad Caverns National Park Trail

Carlsbad Caverns National Park Trail is a 0.9 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Carlsbad, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

cave

This is why you go there, to go down into the caverns. This trail starts at the Natural Entrance of Carlsbad Caverns with steep switchbacks going down for 200' when you come to Bat Cave, a cave within a cave. From the Bat Cave Entrance you reverse your direction and the trail is not as steep as it takes you to the Big Room still 550' down and .80 mile away. Along the way you will see Devils Spring, Devils Den, Whales Mouth, Green Lake Overlook, the Boneyard and Witches Finger. One mile from the entrance you come to the 8.2 acre Big Room the largest room in a cave and a fork in the trail to continue your hike through the Big Room or to the Rest Area and Lunchroom where you can rest, eat or mail a letter from 755' underground! On the Big Room trail you Loop in a counter clockwise direction with a cutoff halfway through for those who get tired as well as ADA access, to take the full loop is 1.5 miles and it's always 56 degrees down there so bring a light coat even in summer. Along the trail you will pass features like the Bottomless Pit, Giant Dome, Rock of the Ages, the Painted Grotto and many more beautiful formations! If you have the time be sure to try a guided tour to other parts of the cave.

Always a great place to get away to. Wear good tennis shoes as the path can be damp and increase your risk for fall.

This cave is unreal! Definitely a must see. I went when the elevator was broken so the hike back up was killer but definitely worth it.

Hiking in a cool cave is always good.

I'm tagging this as a hike because the elevator was broken when I went in early March. It was slightly difficult coming back up, but worth it. Gorgeous and eerie, smelled a bit musty but beautiful.

I have to say, I been in 10 or so caves, glad I did this one last. this place is outstanding!! Not sure any caves I go in after this will ever WOW me like this one did. It's just HUGE! We took the guided tour, then walked in the natural entrance, This is a must if you have the time, Very steep, do not think coming out would be lots of fun (you will feel it) lucky for most of us you can ride the elevator back up! By far my favorite cave of all time

My Grandma and Mother did this very cool trail back in or around 1986. What a beautiful trail. Clean and Ranger help who ever needs it. Loved the restaurant 775 ft. down. My Grandma could not do the hike so she took the elevator down and met us. There is radio listening device for the different areas you walk buy. We did take the elevator back up. The Queens room was blast. If you have a chance to go please do. You will not be disappointed.

I just have to come back and do this trail at least once a year. I recommend you do not take the elevator get your money's worth. I recommend you arrange your hiking time to come up right before they close the cave so you can wait and see the bats come out. It's amazing.

We were the first to the Great Room and enjoyed a quiet walk through the caverns. If you want to avoid crowds, be at the visitor center when they open at 8:00 a.m. - or schedule a ranger-led tour of the areas inaccessible without a guide.

This was really an incredible trail. We entered by the natural entrance and did the self-guided tour of the big room plus the guided tour of the King's Palace. If we had more time I'd have paid for more of the extra guided tours to see even more of the cave system. I also recommend just hiking back out. We made it out way faster than our pals who waited in the massive elevator line.

just going to add my points to this well know place. (1) very humid; we saw a small cloud in the cavern (2) really really really big; enough to have a micro climate cloud (3) walk in and take the elevator out; avoid the opposite unless you are in peak health (4) long walks with steep inclination; however, a moist hand rail is available along the path.

Awesome caverns !!! The elevators were broken so the up and down trail was pretty steep. The park ranger stated it was 80 stories down and of course you have to hike it out, if the elevators are still down. These caverns where the best I've ever been to. The hike up wasn't as bad as I thought, think its because it was so cool below. But for several days later I was feeling it. Definately will go again, regardless if elevators down or not.

really fun. easy hike down the hike up is another story.

Absolutely loved this place!

This is just a spectacular experience. Caves, bats, nice walk. Everything is very clean and well taken care of.