Baylor Canyon Pass Trail

Baylor Canyon Pass Trail is a 4.3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Las Cruces, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Hike from the foot hills, along tree-covered trails to a mountain pass. The sign is the trailhead. Follow the main trail west. There is little chance of losing the trail. The trail will switchback up the canyon. At about 2.0 miles you reach Baylor Pass. Return via the reverse route.

I enjoyed this hike thoroughly! From Baylor to Aguirre and back in about 6 hrs, that includes a 45 min lunch break. The views are great, and its not very challenging, but distance is probably not ideal for beginners.

Have only hiked this trail part of the way. Maybe I'll hike the whole trail,

Hot.

Just hiked the Baylor Pass Trail from the Aguirre Springs campground on the east side of the Organ Mountains. This is an awesome well maintained trail with a gradual elevation gain around a 1,000 ft. to the pass. A lot more trees and vegetation on this trail compared to the west side trail which connects at the pass.
At around two miles you reach the top of the pass and is a good place to stop and take in the views. The city of Las Cruces to the west and the Tularosa Basin and White Sands National Monument to the east. I would recommend a good walking stick or trekking poles due to several places with loose slippy rocks. I would rate this hike as easy to moderate and is one of my favarotie trails in the area.

Great hike but you definetly need to be in semi decent shape. We did the whole loop and it took us a littlt over 3 hours. At the end we were exhausted. Didnt see any wildlife but did see lots of tracks. Cool scenery with some ice at the top of the trail.

Easier than the West Pass. I would also recommend this direction if you take the complete one-way hike. The additional hike to the peak is strenuous if you are not use to hiking above 5000'. I made it to 6600 but had to give up on the final push to the true peak as I was alone.

Nice, easy hike with some cool views of the east side of the Organs, especially the Rabbit Ears. This is a much nicer way to get to Baylor Pass, as opposed to the west trail (which is very bouldery and overgrown). Ended up continuing on to Baylor Peak off to the right (north) of Baylor Pass, which has a somewhat faint but followable fairly steep trail up to Baylor Peak with some great views.

Had a great hike with my wife and daughter on this trail. Definitely does a better job at keeping the numbers on the trail lower than some others in the area. Great views and one of the prettiest rattlesnakes I have ever seen (and I grew up in this area). Will go do it again soon.