Bar Canyon Loop Trail

Bar Canyon Loop Trail is a 3.1 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Las Cruces, NM that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, horses, and mountain biking and is accessible from September until May. Dogs and horses are also able to use this trail.

Hike through a narrowing canyon to a natural water fall. Begin the hike at the trailhead. Stay to the right, follow the trail counter-clockwise. At 1.5 miles there is a junction where the trail divides. You can follow the loop to the left, or continue straight ahead to the old rock house and the waterfall. At 1.63 miles you reach the old rock house. Continue down this trail to the waterfall. The trail will head to the right, up a small hill, then left into a narrow dead-end canyon. The waterfall is all the way back. To finish the loop, return the the junction where the trail divided. Turn right, and follow the trail back to the trailhead.

This gets 3 stars for the time of year we did the hike (90 degree summer weather). In the fall or winter this would be 4 stars. There is no shade on the hike up to the waterfall, and while it's rated as "easy," with the heat and the steady upward climb I'd say it's approaching moderate. It ends at a beautiful "grotto" with a nice water fall and plenty of shade. Beautiful view on the way down. It's nowhere near as beautiful as the nearby Pine Trail Loop, but definitely worth doing.

Amazed I haven't heard more about this spot! Perfect hike!

Hiked this late August with dog. Was a nice and easy hike with some great scenery that makes nice for photography. Little bit of running water at the falls. Definitely do again!

one of my favorite trails. easy to get to and usually not crowded.

Absolutely beautiful and very easy. There is an option to climb up at least one of the surrounding mountains, which I did. That was difficult, but it's not part of the main trail. The views were amazing regardless of if you climb up or stay on the canyon floor.

It starts out easy, but after about 40 minutes it became extremely steep, almost straight up and nothing to grab onto but cactus.. Once you get to the top, the views are wonderful, but that last stretch was tough. We went down the backside of the mountain and again it was impossible to just walk, we slid most of the way..

Easy day hike!

Very good easy hike. I took my dog and she thoroughly enjoyed it.

So much fun! Easy to find trail, but not clearly marked, however after several attempts, we finally made it to the waterfall today! Completely enjoyable hike!

It was nice, cold and icy by the waterfall, but a great hike, as always!

we hiked this at Thanksgiving with my family from out off town. it was a very nice walk and the falls while small was still very beautiful!!

This trail is awesome! There is a small waterfall up in the mountain. The stone house has fallen apart recently. We also spotted some what we think were deer just south of the loop. It was a very good area to hike

Beautiful place. The trail to the left is a bit quicker, but take the trail to the right if you're looking for a more challenging hike. (area by the waterfall is a great place for a picnic!)

Take trail to left. Use smaller trail to get the full distance. Larger ( wider) trail is more direct.

One of my favorite trails for an easy hike. I can usually complete in less than two hours, which includes a lot of dawdling and picture taking. If i'm pressed for time I go to the canyon and waterfall and don't follow the trail around to the south. A great hike for dogs and they are allowed off leash (if controllable).