Atalaya Mountain Trail

Atalaya Mountain Trail is a 6 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near Santa Fe, NM that features a great forest setting and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest. This is a short day hike from St. Johns College trail head east side of the city of Santa Fe, NM into the edge of the Santa Fe National forest.

Initially very steep, beautiful views. well groomed trail. Roughly 2 hours and 42 minutes for 5.2 miles

I'm from the Midwest and would definitely not call this easy. Great trail, could have been marked better and I'd call it moderate. Fitbit registered this as closer to 8 miles. Topo map put it at 5 miles with 1760' gain. Felt like a lot more than 5 miles.

This is our second trip on the Atalaya Trail 174. My husband and I did this trail twice now. We, however, feel this is a moderate trail and not that easy! 4-5 hours round trip, unless you are running. Go early, it gets hot! It will be awhile before I do this one again. Beautiful view though, once you finally reach the top!

First, this is not an easy trail. AllTrails needs to fix this error. Also, if you start at the St. John's lot, it's 7 miles round trip. Beautiful views of the valley, the Jemez mountains, and the Sandias. You gain almost 1800 feet, finishing at a rocky area that sits at about 9,100 feet. There are steep sections, so it's a great workout. This is one of my favorite hikes in the area, and it's great training for anything you want to do elsewhere.

Great trial right in town. Easy morning adventure.

I'm a low-lander, so I would call this moderate, rather than easy based on the altitude. The trail is beautiful and has a few different distinct landscapes. I took my time and enjoyed the views and the wildlife, and finished in about 4.5 hours.

Challenging but enjoyable hike with nice view of the valley at the top. Hot in the beginning but more shaded after that.

This is a great trail to get yourself conditioned for the trails up around the ski basin, Baldy and Lake Katherine.
I took the steep trail and it was a great workout but the easy trail meets up with steep pretty quickly. Some gorgeous views of Santa Fe and Santa Fe ski basin

Nice day hike very convenient to Santa Fe. I'd call it "moderate" rather than easy based on the length and steepness. About half way up there's a split for the "easy" way or the "steep" way. The easy way has nice vista views but goes a little out of the way. The steep is pretty steep but much shorter.

Overall this is a nice trail to get out in the woods on without driving far out from town. It's good to have AllTrails or a map - the trail splits a few times and it's easy to get off course.

Awesome trail if you do the whole thing to the summit of Atalaya mountain. I ran out of time and turned around at 8800 feet to return to the St John's parking lot. Great views. In comparison to other trails in the region this is not an easy trail and the top part along the ridge can be tricky with a lot of trees down across a narrow trail. It was only on the way down that I saw a sign saying that the trail was closed for maintenance.

Was really fun beautiful view!!

A nice day hike - took me just over 3 hours. Very steep, but has a beautiful view at the top.

A great trail for an active, not obsessive hiker. We were a little weary going into it as it was listed as "easy", so thought it would be too mellow. Easy means to us a good mutilgenetational hike, but our parents would not have been able to do it.

The topography and vegetation was much more interesting than anticipated.

Would be a fantastic trail run!

Not as easy as it sounds. Of course, we are newbies here. But it did give my husband and I a good workout. Will need to rest before doing this one again. Beautiful view.

Easy, not long. We tracked it as 5.26 miles. Nice views.

Beautiful. Not too difficult for my out of shape self. Great views.