Alkali Flat Trail

Alkali Flat Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alamogordo, NM that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

We did this trail on November 2015 with a beautiful weather. Easy to hike, easy to follow the markers, It took us about 2:30 hrs to complete it. Any part of the trail you stop, you enjoy stunning views, also you can see the Sierra Blanca Mountain with snow. We really loved and enjoyed a lot this beautiful trail.

Well marked with red poles. Easier to see than what I remember from last time I did the trail a couple years ago. Go clockwise and there's less steep hills and the second half is much easier. Fun hike.

Great trail if you're looking for scenic gypsum deposits. The route is easy to follow using the markers every 100 meters or so. Take plenty of water as I ran out with half a gallon over the two hour trek. By the half way point, our group ceased walking up and down the dunes and chose to walk the valley while keeping an eye on the markers. I can't stress again, take plenty of water. Did this 2/17/2016, high was 75 degrees 1030-1317 was our leisurely time with plenty of camera and snack breaks. Can be done in under two hours.

Beautiful hike! Did it mid February temperature high was 80 degrees took us around 3 hours and I can definitely see how someone can die out there if you don't take enough water. Don't underestimate the heat! Took my dog and if it were any hotter this trail would've sucked I wouldn't do it on a day that's hotter than 80 degrees. Getting shoes in your sand is inevitable no matter what you're wearing. Take snacks and a gallon of water for each person (at the least). Anyway, recommended with the proper safety precautions.

Incredibly unique place to hike. Beautiful trail within the basin and surrounded by the mountains. I did it in 65F in winter and a pleasant hike. Still needed good amount of water. Summer in the heat must be brutal. Load up on the H2O.

Great

This trail can be deadly. A couple from France lost their lives from the heat.

Never underestimate this trail. Take all necessary precautions.

scenic driving

Beautiful drive! You see pieces of the hills as you go along up until one point and then they all turn into the white sand hills you were looking forward to. Tons of areas to stop off at and sled or play in the sand.

Unique landscape, great hiking in the dunes, unusual experience.

nice trail to do in the winter, took 3 hours but definitely worth it, a few steep dunes to crawl up but would be way fun if you're willing to carry a sled out that far with you. easy to follow with the markers sticking out of the ground.
ps: don't forget to sign in/out at the beginning before/after hiking

Great workout on this short trail if you follow the staked dunes. My sister and I hiked early in the morning and it was already warming considerably. I stayed up on the dunes where the sand was loose and my sister stayed in the bottoms where the sand was more firm. Some of the trail markers were missing and it was "interesting" locating your way along the trail. It was such a nice easy trail it would be fun to take the kids along. It's also a great trail to pull off your shoes to finish the last half mile with your toes in the cool sand.

White Sands is awesome in general. I did this trail last April! Views are great. I recommend going towards sunset time to get the beautiful colors in the sky and on the mountains in the distance. Not too many people were on this trail. I am a little hesitant to do these trails alone, since everything looks the same! Would be super easy to get lost.

scenic driving

We were here in the late 1960's, and again in 2002. The drive from the visitor center to the picnic area is real nice.

Definitely my favorite national monument. There is a driving trail on which you can pull off to walk on the sands wherever you'd like. Being surrounded by the Organ and Sacramento mountains makes the sunsets beyond beautiful. Also recommend the guided sunset walk. Be sure to bring your camera!