Alkali Flat Trail

Alkali Flat Trail is a 4.9 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Alamogordo, New Mexico that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

1 hour ago

This hike is awesome without small children. I took my 6 and 3 year old and the eye year old made the hike last a lot longer than I wanted. I'm gonna a come back sometime sans children!

Fun trail. Great in winter when it's not hot! Dogs allowed!!!!

smooth. go counter clockwise.

great trail, life experience !

Wonderful hike!...our group enjoyed it! It took us 3 hours to complete! December is a great time to go there!

We did this trail on November 2015 with a beautiful weather. Easy to hike, easy to follow the markers, It took us about 2:30 hrs to complete it. Any part of the trail you stop, you enjoy stunning views, also you can see the Sierra Blanca Mountain with snow. We really loved and enjoyed a lot this beautiful trail.

Well marked with red poles. Easier to see than what I remember from last time I did the trail a couple years ago. Go clockwise and there's less steep hills and the second half is much easier. Fun hike.

Great trail if you're looking for scenic gypsum deposits. The route is easy to follow using the markers every 100 meters or so. Take plenty of water as I ran out with half a gallon over the two hour trek. By the half way point, our group ceased walking up and down the dunes and chose to walk the valley while keeping an eye on the markers. I can't stress again, take plenty of water. Did this 2/17/2016, high was 75 degrees 1030-1317 was our leisurely time with plenty of camera and snack breaks. Can be done in under two hours.

Beautiful hike! Did it mid February temperature high was 80 degrees took us around 3 hours and I can definitely see how someone can die out there if you don't take enough water. Don't underestimate the heat! Took my dog and if it were any hotter this trail would've sucked I wouldn't do it on a day that's hotter than 80 degrees. Getting shoes in your sand is inevitable no matter what you're wearing. Take snacks and a gallon of water for each person (at the least). Anyway, recommended with the proper safety precautions.

Incredibly unique place to hike. Beautiful trail within the basin and surrounded by the mountains. I did it in 65F in winter and a pleasant hike. Still needed good amount of water. Summer in the heat must be brutal. Load up on the H2O.