White Shore Trail

White Shore Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Alpine, NJ that features a waterfall and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November.

rock climbing

beach

Rugged hike with outstanding views, waterfalls, ruins.

Great hiking

If you like rock scrambling this is the hike for you. Wear proper footwear because the rocks can get a bit jaggy and I've seen a few people including myself slip on the rocks. Overall it's a great hike and very challenging. I did the 520 foot stair ascent for last and it with a doubt is s butt buster. Will definitely do it again!

Don't underestimate it! Lots of rocks to crawl over and its easy to take a long tumble to your doom. But overall it's very doable and really fun.

My feet hurt! we usually do just the bit front State Line Lookout Parking to the falls at the river and return, but today did the whole loop..forgot how long the rock scramble along the river is..good work out. lots of people out today, maybe one of the last really nice days before the cold weather kicks in..

This trail has a bit of everything

90% rocks. I had to keep my head down the whole time to try and find sure footing, which rarely happened. Wasn't able to appreciate the view, which was ok at best. No waterfall when we were there either. Couldnt imagine taking my dog here for this hike... Id end up carrying him over the dangerous rocks.

Beautiful views, fun trail but definitely not for beginners!

started on long path trail and went up to white trail. very rocky and last .8mi was steep

Awesome hike . This placereally made me fall in love with hiking a couple years ago. I do this hike a couple times a year, great trails with varied terrain. Pretty moderate the section where you Climb over the rock formation is kind of tough. Overall great hike.

The trail seemed longer than we expected, but it was such a nice adventure. My friend and I went yesterday and the lady at the cafe recommended we do the portion where it was a bit of a challenge - scrambling across boulders and climbing steps and more steps - so we did. We say the waterfall, but there was no water. However it is located right next to the swing which was a nice treat and a great place to relax after 4hr nonstop hike. Yes, it took us about 4hrs or so, probably because we were messing around taking photos along the way. I totally recommend this hike, but not for the faint at heart.

My friend and I loved this loop. Traversing the rocks was amazing! The views were breathtaking at every turn. I almost forgot where I was it was so beautiful. Definitely a more difficult hike across the rocks and up the stairs, but well worth it. I don't recommend bringing a dog or small children.

Good trail with plenty of obstacles.

Pretty tough rock scrambling but lots of fun! Be careful and take a snack break along the river.

Great trail!

Hiked/ran his trail today for the first time. I headed south from the parking lot to the trail entrance off the road and then descended all the way down to the Hudson. Normally I run this trail up and down for a quick workout. I headed north towards the Giant Stairs and was not disappointed. Its quite the scramble across all the boulders. I pushed the pace without making it too dangerous. I definitely need to get hiking sneakers as opposed to my old running shoes. I was slipping a bit on the rocks and they were dry. Headed all the way north to the NY border and then started the ascent. Nice workout heading up the stairs and trail and then got a little confused which way to go when I ran into a fork in the road. A hiker told me the tougher trail was to the left and easier was straight ahead. I took the tougher trail and it brought me up another nice ascent and up to the NY/NJ border monument. Once I hit the E trail head I stayed to the left at the fork and ran up the final ascent and back to the stateline lookout parking lot. Was a great run/hike all around. Took me 90 minutes and I stopped about 10-20 times to snap some pics. Amazing views. I definitely don't suggest taking dogs or children on this hike. I don't think its safe for either.

I took the trail recomended in the map which is a combination of the long trail and river trail. It was alright...the waterfall was dry, but i can imagine really enjoying it in the spring when its running super full! The rock scramble was fun, but no good for dogs or small kids. There was alot of stairs going up the long trail from the base of the river, not my favorite but definitely a good glute buster! I would go back for sure in the spring.