Ramapo Schuber and Ridge Loop Trail

Ramapo Schuber and Ridge Loop Trail is a 9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Darlington, NJ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until November.

Rushing Streams, Ruins, Solitude, Boy Scout Camp I began at the main entrance and took the Halifax Trail around Scarlet Oak Pond. Here the park has an urban feel, paved roads and many dog walkers & joggers. The trail enters the woods, becomes more rugged & begins to climb towards Hawk Rock. Here you can clearly see all the way to NYC. The HF trail leads down to Havemeyer Rd, and old mine rd, and meets a pipe line road. I followed this up over Drag Hill to the Cannonball Trail. This area became park property in the 70's & many houses & foundations can be found intact around Bear Swamp Lake. The Cannonball Trail led me through the BSA's Camp Yaw Paw & to the Yellow trail. I climbed steeply, crossing the pipeline road again to wonderful views of the Ramapo Valley below. I encountered many deer and pheasant. I descended to meet the Bear Swamp Creek which was bursting with all the recent rains. The falls were incredible! After that I passed the ruins of the Darlington Estate and soon reached the parking area.

Directions are not accurate at all. It would have you turn right into the Forrest and Bushwhack. Do yourself a favor and get the park map and follow the trails.
Beware of the yellow trail. Very poorly marked. Everything else is marked well.

Love it!!

Once you break away from the main part with the lake and resevior It is pretty much all to yourself. Even through the camp we so no one. We started seeing people again towards the very end. Basically once you get away from the main part of the park, it's all yours. At least from my experience.

Over crowded, was disappointed.

Excellent walk

It was a great hike andalthough a bit strenuous, was very pretty. Then only thing is that if you follow the orange markers it can be very misleading and it's very easy to get lost.

It was a challenging hike but very hard to stay on trails because everything crosses each other. My group hiked from the start to the red trails to the orange to yellow and back to orange eventually in order to get back to the start. We saw a few ticks and one was even on my sock. I would hike it again just because I know the best ways to get around the woods and stay on the proper trails.

Great variety and lots to see, but can get really crowded on nice days and weekends. I got engaged at the top of the trail that overlooks NYC so this is one of my favorite places!