Mt. Tammany - Delaware Water Gap

Mt. Tammany - Delaware Water Gap is a 3.2 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Columbia, NJ that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and camping and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

hot springs

Great views, challenging ascent, sometimes a little crowded at the summit. This hike is a great warmup hike before larger trips to New England or out west. We always do our training here because it never gets old and the ascent is a good measurement of your physical preparedness. Good trip for dogs.

17 minutes ago

Simple hike with good views from top on a sunny day!

I've been here 3 times the first time alone and I've since taken both my brothers here. In my opinion easily one of the best hikes in new Jersey. The veiw from the top is nice a rock face that jets downward allowing you walk down and hang you feet off the edge and sit back. I find the veiw from the first overlook to be even prettier though . Pretty easy loop trail going up is a bit steeper and the way down is more gradual, as far as new Jersey goes it's tough to beat this hike .

It's a great trail and challenging at times. The view is well worth it in the end. My only complaint is parking is a mess. Parking is shared with the Delaware water gap recreation center, so if you're hiking this trail get there as early as possible. We went in August and all parking was taken. Trail gets crowded during peak months as well. I honestly preferred Mount Minsi over this one.

Go up and back down blue trail

Keep going. Go up red.

Awesome trail!

Enjoyed it

I love hiking here. I enjoyed the terrain, the view at the top and the creek. I recommend wearing hiking boots to properly protect the ankles. It's rugged. I also recommend hiking up red dot trail up and blue dot trail down. Google maps will lead you to the lower parking lot which puts you at blue dot trail. You have to walk to the entrance of the parking lot where the stairs are and that will put you on the red dot trail. The other option is once you take the exit from 80 west to Dunnsfield Creek, you should see a parking lot immediately, enter and park there. This puts you on the red dot trail right away and it is also better in logistics because if that lot is full, you can exit and head down to the lower parking lot and check there. This avoids you going to the lower parking lot as Google Maps direct, not find parking and then have to go back on the highway and come back around and check the 1st lot you saw before. It is busy there which I like as a new hiker because I get to enjoy the woods and run into other people here and there.

if this Trail is moderate 1.1 miles in length and 1000 feet in elevation I would really hate to see what is difficult or challenging.
However totally worth the climb awesome Scenic overview the Gap

Nice uphill climb. Did the blue dot then the red. Gorgeous views at the top

went red up blue down. very strenuous hike but doable. red up is steep but down is less steep, a lot less, but all rocky ... beautiful view at the summit--wow.

It was a bit challenging climb up for a beginner, but so worth it. Did a sunrise hike and caught a really good picture on the first look out.