Mixed Color Wheel Trail

Mixed Color Wheel Trail is a 3.9 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Lake Hopatcong, NJ that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

First I believe that this trail is longer than is written here, probably just above 5 miles. You start out around a the lake. I would NOT call this easy at all. Possibly Moderate to Difficult. I question the tag as "kid friendly". If you've got a great young hiker then yes. Otherwise NO!

Most of the trail is well groomed. You start out on yellow, go on to Teal (Highlands Trail) and back on to yellow. The yellow is very well groomed. The Highlands Trail has places in the middle that are someone overgrown and beware there are spots ridden with poison ivy. I like the Highlands Trail part. It's challenging, some nice hills and ridges as well as babbling brooks. I did not use hiking poles but will bring one if I do this again because as you're traversing over rocks to climb across those babbling brooks you will appreciate that one hiking pole so you won't accidentally grab on to a tree that has a poison ivy vine running up it. (Good idea to have those Technu packs around)