High Point State Park: Monument Trail

High Point State Park: Monument Trail is a 3.5 mile loop trail located near Montague Twp, NJ that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

High Point State Park: Monument Trail is a 3.7 mile loop trail located in Sussex, New Jersey. The trail is rated as moderate with some uphill hiking. Well marked the Read/Green trail, takes between 2-3 hours.

Fun hike with a group of Boy Scouts. Parking is close to the monument. Can be steep in spots but fairly easy overall.

I had a good hike. It was a bit challenging but it was a fun trail. I did monument trail but there are many more trails to explore.

It was great. Definitely need a hiking shoe on to do it. The jagged rocks were killing my feet thru my sneakers & the leaves covering the rocks this time of year left me unable to tell what i was stepping down on. Great weather and a great trail w/ beautiful views.

nice hike with plenty of trees and some views

Very good!

Easy not very exciting hike but great views from the monument!

It was a great way to discover nature, trees, rocks and more and more, definitely do some rock balancing!

Great trail, last 1/4 mile is all up hill but do able. Took my wife and 9 year old. It was their first hike and they both enjoyed it.

Great beginner trail, stairs at the end if the loop are a beast but manageable.

Relaxing loop with plenty of opportunity to side step the trail for mountainous overlooks. Dirt trails were well maintained and clearly marked. The occasional slope of rocks and roots made for a nice step workout.

A little confusing as to where to start out. We wound up following the blue trail makers which then turn into the red/green & blue. Great view points. A bit of a rocky path but manageable.

We hiked from Mountain Road along the Appalachian Trail to the monument and back. It was only 5 miles round trip, but there were some steeps that made us breathe. Funny thing, while climbing the stairs of the monument, my GPS app went crazy. It reported that we hiked 39 miles in one hour.