Hemlock Falls Trail

Hemlock Falls Trail is a 5.8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Millburn, NJ that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

take i 78 to exit 50a to vauxhall rd north to millburn ave right on essex st to lackwana pl turn right at glen ave to a dirt road to parking

Trails poorly marked and trail maps are few and broken. Nice area but limited parking.

Beautiful hike with some rough terrain. A good amount of inclines. Rocky trails. Really nice stretch song a ridge. Great hike.

So disappointed with this trail. Not only was the waterfall super tiny, the trail was filled with broken glass everywhere we turned. I climbed to the top of the waterfall only to find that I couldn't place my hands down because of the large amounts of glass. Hard to do when there was a scramble. Also, the waterfall had graffiti on it along with other parts of the trail. New Jersey

Blazes were very poorly marked, however the trails were able to be followed with the help of trail maps.

From the very beginning these trails have no proper direction or markings so we had no idea where to start off. But we found it and did the entire Yellow trail. It was very nice and beautiful scenery. We saw a snake, deer and lots of chipmunks. The water fall wasn't huge but still nice and relaxing. We hike around and to the top of the waterfall, sunbathed and had lunch...super relaxing. Now on the way back we got lost cuz the Markings are horrible we followed the red/white ended up by blue then all white an hour later finally found the yellow back to the car. All together like 5hrs hiking including our breaks, but still a Nice day :)

Nice trail. Markings on the trees are pretty straight forward to follow and coordinate with the South Mountain Reservation map just enough so that you can figure out where you're going. Even if you do get lost, it's an enjoyable enough hike to where you won't regret getting lost in the first place. I went in the middle of the day and there were a good amount of people around. I passed someone maybe every 3 minutes. The waterfall isn't everything you think it will be, I posted pictures to show what it looked like in July. But there is a great spot to lounge on top of the waterfall with a nice view

Nice loop with some great scenery. A nice little respite in the middle of bustling NJ. Did it on a Tuesday morning so the trail was all mine. My only complaints are that you can still hear traffic from the local roads and the trail isn't marked very well. Also, don't expect much from the "waterfall".

Really nice trail. Signs are a bit hard to follow so pin yourself to the app. Fun to get lost and find your way though.

Nice trails, lots to explore, took a different way back than we took out. Trails could be marked better but we didn't get lost and it was a nice summer Sunday afternoon so a good amount of people and dogs walking around. Plenty of options for trails to take, I could go regularly and never take the same route twice.

No bikes allowed. Perfect for an afternoon hiking experience, bring water specially for your 4 legged companion. There is a nice dog park and there is a small brook by the bridge perfect for them to cool off after a long walk. Also there are picnic tables at the beginning with charcoal grills. Perfect for grilling and relaxing moment before you head home. One thing to remember don't forget to Pin yourself on you mobile map, most of the path are lacking signs/markings, so you need to look at your phone from time to tome to make sure you are on the right path.

Mountain bikes are not allowed. Something to do with erosion. Too bad.

I'm looking sings is no used Mountain Bike in Route.... :(

Easy hike on the white trail that meanders through mildly sloping well groomed trails and provides views of some quaint streams and ponds. We did a four mile out and back and brought along our dog. Dog and child friendly hike with little elevation or views from the top.

Easy hike, quite nice. I hiked along the white trail first and came back on the yellow trail, which was pretty easy. Starting on the yellow trail would give you quite a big uphill at the beginning. The map at the trailhead is pretty decent and the trails are pretty easy to follow, just be aware that there are a lot of woods roads so you need to make sure you stay on the trails with blazes. Not the nicest trail I've been on in the area and the falls aren't super impressive, but the fact that it's so close to NYC and still quite secluded/natural is a big plus. You can hear/see cars along the white trail close to the trailhead, but for most of the trail you can't.

Worth the drive. Had a good hike.

Morning hikes are nicer with the sun on the east of mountain crest.

Hiked the yellow blazed trail from the Locus Grove parking lot to the falls. The trail was in poor condition due to the fact it had just rained the night before; it felt like I was hiking through a stream rather than on a trail for the first 2-3 miles. After the falls, the yellow trail takes you through a construction site and over a bridge crossing S Orange Ave, which certainly takes you out of the nature element. The falls and cascades were quite nice.
I didn't find the trails that poorly marked or confusing, however, the park doesn't provide a decent, detailed trail map which made figuring out where I was a pain.