Four Birds Trail

Four Birds Trail is a 5.4 mile out and back trail located near Rockaway, NJ that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible year-round.

Really nice trail. Easy to moderate. View from the hawk watch is awesome and definitely worth the uphill climb. It really isn't marked well though and I found myself almost going on a different trail several times. It also is a very rocky trail. Saw two huge birds too, I think they were hawks. But I will do this trail again.

I would have to rate this as a moderate trail, given its length, but the scenery makes it worthwhile for anyone who has the time. You cover woodlands, nice vistas, and some remains of iron mining, from large to small scale. It has some nice elevation changes, though nothing overly serious. Remember when walking the dogs that this is habitat for black bear and white tail deer - as well as many other species. Timber rattlers and copperheads are unusual sights, but not unheard of.