Cannonball Trail - Barbara Drive Parking Area to Ramapo Lake

Cannonball Trail - Barbara Drive Parking Area to Ramapo Lake is a 5.6 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Pompton Lakes, NJ that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

This trailhead is closed. The NY/NJ Trail Conference recommends parking at Pool Hollow Rd and taking the Hoeferlin trail to the Cannonball trail. I did the loop that includes going around Ramapo Lake. One thing that I did notice is that my location was always off from the downloaded track.

This trail has been posted is no longer accessible and is closed to the public. We were told there is unexploded ammunition on the trail.

I tackled this trail on a sunny beautiful Sunday in June. Had the wife along, so slowed down a little bit. I tracked this loop longer than the 5+ miles indicated. Used this as a warmup, along with others, for my Machu Picchu & Inca Trail trek this August. Be aware that this trailmap doesn't indicate all of the different color trails you'll use. It's also a little off at times. The far end of the loop, by the peaks and castle, are the trickiest. But overall a good workout. Lots of dogs but not too crowded being a Sunday. Def worth a few hours of your time.

It was excellent for my two boys 3 and 4.

Awesome trail.