Appalachian Trail: Sunfish Pond & Mount Mohican

Appalachian Trail: Sunfish Pond & Mount Mohican is a 7.5 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Blairstown, NJ that features a lake and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking and camping and is accessible from September until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

11/6/2016. Headed northeast from Dunnfield Creek trail head to Sunfish Pond with my 8 year old son. Packed lunch, water and plenty of snacks. Took us just over 2 hrs to get up to pond- pretty steady climb but not bad. A few areas were very rocky and one could easily twist an ankle if not careful. We were fine in sturdy sneakers, though light or medium hiking boot would be ideal. Followed the creek for a while- pleasant scenery. Eventually gain elevation and it gets a little harder. Passed a little area of cairns that was very serene and had some nice views from the top of the ridge looking northwest. Ate lunch at the pond- beautiful place to eat and rest. Didn't explore the pond, though would have if time permitted. We hiked back at a more leisurely pace, 3 hrs, giving plenty of time for an 8 year old (and his dad) to poke stuff with a stick or climb on rocks and trees along the way. Fall was a great time to hike. Also enjoyed being on the AT and not having to wear orange at the start of archery season. Highly recommend for family and kids 8+. Doable in one day- plan for 4-5 hrs directly or 6-7 if you plan on ambling. If you're a trail runner- I saw several runners pass me. Gradual climb and good distance made for nice run, though rocky terrain was a drawback for me, personally. Happy trails!

I hiked Mt Tammany Trail as well as this trail in one day. I took the red trail up Tammany (took about an hour to the summit - there is no sign, but a great view). Once you've done this, you've completed the most strenuous part of the hike.

Then, I took the green trail up Dunnfield Hallow Trail.
Once I reached Sunfish Pond (took me about 3.5 hours to get there), I had lunch and returned to the parking lot via the white AT.

Not including my stop for lunch, it took me 5 hours of hiking to do the 10 mile loop, but I'm in pretty good shape.

Definitely a hike I'd recommend or do again.

A good website for a map of the trails https://www.nps.gov/dewa/planyourvisit/upload/sb2hikes-2.pdf

Great trail. Did 22 miles on a variety of loops on and off the AT

good trail, see lots of black bear and snakes. don't let bear deter you from hiking GOOD LOUD CLAP OF YOUR HANDS WILL USUALLY SCARE THEM OFF. Worth going to Sun Fish Pond

Always my favorite go-to backpacking spot in NJ. Fairly easy on the AT, lots of ups-n-downs make for a great workout. Not heavily used if you're taking the AT portion away from the state park/forest and Sunfish Pond. Wildlife is great (have seen deer, bears, coyotes, wolves, foxes, rattlesnakes, eagles, etc.). Highly recommended for a day hike or multiple day backpacking trip on the AT.

always a great hike. easy trail to walk on. the difficulty comes from the distance and elevation. But finding a spot to take a break st next to the pond is well worth it.

Great hike.

Done a few times on part of a NJ section hike of the AT. One of my favorite spots.

I had a great time with my family, we took the A/T(white trail) up and back. It is a great workout and a relaxing time and scenery at the pond was worth it. Do not wear sneakers, this trail is very rocky and its almost a constant incline

Took us about 7 hours to do 8.8 miles. I'm a slow hiker though, as I have Rheumatoid Arthritis, so I go slower than most. We spent time at the pond at the rock beach and picnicking. We took the light green blaze up on the Dunfield creek side. It was lovely the views. We had to cross the stream about 5-6 times and the creek was swelled. I didn't mind getting wet as it was a warmer day, but if its the colder season or even a shoulder season, you will need waterproof boots for this blaze.

Much like the NJ/PA/NY area, there are many, many rocks. I don't suggest sneakers for this hike at all.

We walked the turquoise trail around the pond which is about a mile. We took the A/T back (white blaze). We came to another rock garden and some cool sculptures as well as saw some campers, etc on the trail. The AT is good on the way down, since it's a constant incline on the way up.

We had a great day. I would like to go back in October if possible. Excellent weather for it mid sSeptember.

Took us 8 hours but we spent time at the lake and picnicked too. We did encounter a huge rattlesnake on the trail that went after my daughter and our dog. Luckily they were quicker than the snake. The trail was very rocky.

Nice hike from rt 80 to Sunfish Pond and Back. It is more of a novice hike that is all uphill and all downhill with a wonderful place to rest in between. It is a bit of a culture shock to someone hiking down the Appalachian Trail (AT) from the south and coming across a lot of tourists if it is on the weekend. If you want privacy you won't get it on the weekends at this spot. Hit it up during the week and it is pristine.

The being of the trail is easy going through areas that were going to be developed. Once past here the trail is very rocky and spent most of the time looking at my feet. The trail around the pond almost all rocks

Since I was by myself, I only had time to get up to Sunfish Pond and make it more an out-and-back than a point-to-point. Still, very nice hike and an amazing lake. Glad I continued past the lake a bit to what I believe the map was calling "raccoon ridge" - great views of the Delaware river and lands beyond. Wanted to continue on, but didn't have enough daylight to do that and get back.

Just for variety, I returned back to Sunfish pond, circled around the other side and took the Dunnfield Creek trail (green blaze) back. Very rocky and steep in spots; if I had known I would have just stayed on the AT.

Beautiful waterfalls, but the terrain is extremely rocky especially as you get closer to Sunfish Pond. I found myself staring solely at the ground to avoid tripping.

NICE HIKE THE POND IS REAL NICE EVEN SAW LITTLE FISH, WHAT A GREAT WORK OUT.

Actually this is in western NJ, near the Delaware Water Gap and the Mount Tammany trails. It is also a waypoint of the Appalacian Trail. It's in Worthington Sate Park which is in the Delaware National Recreation Area.