Appalachian Trail: Rattlesnake & Bird Mountains

Appalachian Trail: Rattlesnake & Bird Mountains is a 27.4 mile out and back trail located near Wallpack Center, NJ and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking and is accessible from March until November.

We started at the base of Buttermilk falls and hiked up and connected with the Appalachian Trail at the Buttermilk Falls trail sign. Continued along the AT until we reached the AT parking lot in Stokes State Park. 10.5 miles total. Overall the hike was great, the ups were challenging and the views of PA and later NJ were fantastic.

Very fun. started at Mohican Camp road and hiked up the mountain. it was pretty intense and I enjoyed it a lot. when at the top of the mountain, the drop off down one side was steep enough for my friend and I to rappel down. the rappelling distance wasn't too long but it was fun to still hike a couple miles and then rappel and then climb back up. the views at the top of any hill/mountain was amazing. I would recommend this trail to anyone.

One of the more strenuous parts of the AT in NJ, but lots of fun.

Watch out for Rattlesnakes on the open rocks and sunning themselves along the trail. I recently went through this section and as much as I love it I love it more so each time. I usually hike with one of my medium sized dogs, but of lately I have not and the bird song has increased ten fold. I, now, do longer hikes without a dog for this reason only. NJ doesn't allow fires along the trail so stop building rock fire rings people! Pick up your trash too! When you hike the Appalachian Trail (AT) and other trails, please carry a large zip lock bag so you can help others enjoy the trail. Use the bag for a place to put wrappers when you see them. If you see them others will see them and that will destroy their experience on the trails too. So, be kind and pick up what isn't natural to the trail. Please don't make garbage a regular occurrence on the trail resulting it to being 'a natural thing' to those who are used to living in a city filled with filth.