Wenlock Wildlife Management Area, Moose Bog

Wenlock Wildlife Management Area, Moose Bog is a 1 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near North Stratford, NH that features a lake and is good for all skill levels. The trail is primarily used for hiking and birding and is accessible from March until November.

Was able to correct the map and the trail's address, so ignore my previous review.

I was wanting to return to the trail again, a year later. I checked the attached map and found the trail is marked incorrectly. The trailhead and bog are in Vermont, not New Hampshire. They are off of 105 several miles east of Island Pond.

Great and easy hike in: straight, flat, very lush, and bug-free. I had seniors and a toddler with me and we all did great. Heads up that the left turn to the bog itself is not marked at all. You will need to take a left just before you arrive at a waist-high boulder in the trail and maybe 100 yards from the end of the trail at the road. (There are several prior left turns that we did not take...but presumably they would lead you to additional view spots.) Once you take the left turn you will go down a short hill and continue on a series of raised wooden planks. Heads up for animal tracks in the mud next to the planks. I saw bear tracks! There are also many pitcher plants. My father, an experienced birder, saw an owl fly over head. Once we arrived at the bog, sadly we did not see much wildlife, save a family of mallards. We were there at midday though. For those who are more interested in the bog than the hike, there is a turn off on the right side of the road (south side, I think) just under a mile before you reach the turn off road for the other trailhead. There is a marker for the Moose Bog Trail, but the sign is hard to spot on 105.

A very enjoyable and easy in-and-out trail to Moose Bog that is part of Wenlock WMA in Ferdinand, Vermont in Essex County. The trail length is about 1 mile. Obviously, at the time, there was packed snow on the trail, but I imagine during mud season the trail can be quite treacherous (for footing) and mucky. Great area for wildlife, birding in particular. Winter finches are always finicky depending on how pine cone seed crops are year in, year out. This year has been a banner year for such winter finches as White-winged Crossbills and Pine Siskins. Other notable passersby were Gray Jays, a Black-backed Woodpecker and Red-breasted Nuthatches. We have also had Boreal Chickadees here in the past, and I would imagine Common Redpolls and even Red Crossbills are not out of the realm of possibility this time of year. And of course there is always that off chance of coming across a Spruce Grouse. I can imagine during the spring and summer times this is a good place for breeding warblers (like Blackburnian, Mourning, Tennessee, Bay-breasted and Cape May) as well as other birds like Winter Wrens, various Empidonax flycatchers, Ruffed Grouse and the occasional Ruby-throated Hummingbird. Will have to visit later on this year, for I have only visited Wenlock WMA 3 times (all in the winter) over the past 3 years. I just love how close everything is as you walk through the dense undergrowth of a boreal forest up to a typical bog found in boreal climes! Also check the Nulhegan Subdivision of the Silvo O. Conte National Wildlife Refuge system. The visitor's center for this USFWS parcel is about a mile and half from the eastern end of South America Pond Rd going east on VT Route 105.