Welch and Dickey Loop Trail

Welch and Dickey Loop Trail is a 4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Thornton, NH that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from February until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from Intersection of SRs 175 & 49, NH: Travel east on SR 49 about 4.5 miles and turn left on Upper Mad River Road. Travel a short distance and turn right onto Orris Road. Follow Orris Road for .6 mile taking a right at the fork into a small parking lot. Trail begins there.

Loved this hike. I've been coming to this part of New Hampshire for 40 years and have never heard of or done this hike. It caught my eye in AMC guidebook and so decided to give it a whirl w my adult children this year.

This was a fun fun hike. Great extended views for middle third of hike. Very large reward for modest effort expended.

We hiked counter-clockwise and reached first ledges in 50 minutes. We did the whole hike in 2:46 with plenty of stops for views and pictures.

amazing hike some of the best views I've seen in the northeast especially during the past when you hike along the ridge. rocks are very steep though so make sure to wear good shoes that have traction

Hiked yesterday ... a little rainfall that made some steep rock areas slick. This hike has amazing views more times than you excpet them!!

We went with some friends and our kids ranged from age 6 to 12 and they all did well. Would definitely recommend shoes with traction as some of the rocky surfaces are tough to get a good grip. Would also recommend to not hike after a solid rain as it just made the rocky surfaces even slicker. But overall we loved the views and hike. It took us about 4.5 hours to complete

Because of all the open granite areas on both mountains, the views are numerous and beautiful. Give this hike an A plus. I would not do this hike on a wet day, since you must climb and descend on steep granite areas.

Beautiful hike. Incredible views throughout most of the trail. My only reason for giving it 4 stars is due to some difficulty navigating on the way down. You really have to pay attention to see some of the trail markings or you will end up going the wrong way and have to backtrack.

This was a gorgeous hike! If you want an easy hike with beautiful views you could go up to the legend on Welch and then back down, maybe a mile each way? We did the full loop on a dry day. Lots of open rock, some times very steep. I wouldn't hike this when it has been wet in the past 24 hours. Loves this hike and the views.

Beautiful views but it took us longer than we expected as this was one of our first hikes of the season. Got a special treat though, saw a bear as we were on the way down Dickey Mountain! He was about 30 yards off the trail and loping up the hill.

Nice hike with a pretty good view. I enjoyed the challenge. Would recommend to anyone who can handle a decent hike.

fun hike with amazing 360 views of the entire area. Much better then the traditional hikes to arrive at 1 peak the views just keep coming. I would avoid this hike on wet days there are lots of flat rocks that would be very slippery

The last half mile(ish) of Welch is a butt kicker! But a beautiful, enjoyable hike all around

beautiful