Oaklands Tunnel Trail

Oaklands Tunnel Trail is a 7.8 mile out and back trail located near Exeter, NH that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and birding and is accessible from April until October.

The trail is very well maintained but the trails are not all marked and have some confusing intersections. I suggest downloading the map and using GPS.

We did the red loop without the added extension under the highway. The trail was rather uneventful until we saw a beaver in one of the bog areas. I wouldn't travel a long way to do this trail but if you live nearby and are looking to simply have a walk in the woods then this is a good trail for you.

Good trail. Easy to get lost. Walked steadily for 3 straight hours, total 8 miles. Alittle much for this 58 year old. Especially since it was my first hike!!

Nice trail, not too difficult. Did find trail a little hard to follow, we ended up traveling a few different colored trails. Nice 3 mile loop with the dog.

I like this trail because it is slightly more difficult than a lot of the trails you find in the seacoast. Dog friendly. Well established and blazed trails, although there is no signage. Maps can be printed on the Exeter town page.

Very nice trails. Need to go back with a mountain bike.

My First time here. Took my 2 German Shepherds with me. They enjoy it

It is an easy 6mile hike with marked trails, decent view and elevation. We did not want anything more than 3 miles. Once we hit our goal we headed back on the same red trail.

Good tip above; iPhone helped navigation.

Good trail - quiet hike. Like other reviews (thanks!) the trailhead parking lot is actually of of 85N. Lots of alternate routes to choose from, nice hike only obe other person on the trails after a couple of hours, on a monday morning.

These trails are great for a Sunday afternoon hike.material says two miles but we had no problem doing a four mile loop. could have been 10 miles if we wanted. Trails are well maintained easy to walk - about 340 feet total elevation. Few mosquitoes but no swarms. Connected to other Exeter trails via tunnel. Important to take your cell phone with maps or easy to take wrong turn. No signage at all (e.g. Parking Lot, or River Loop etc..). Great hidden local treasure. Parking lot was miss-mapped. I corrected it. Just off route 85 500 feet north from 101.

Good trail, definitely not for someone who has a walking disability and much longer then 2 miles

There are lots of trails in Oaklands and Henderson-Swasey Town Forests in Exeter, NH. The two town forests are connected via a tunnel under NH Route 101 between Exits 9 and 10. The trails are pretty well marked and blazed in several colors and are used by hikers and bikers throughout the year. The official links can be found here: http://town.exeter.nh.us/parkstrails.cfm and the maps are pretty accurate.