Mount Washington Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail

Mount Washington Ammonoosuc Ravine Trail is a 8.4 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Twin Mountain, NH that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, nature trips, and birding and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Directions from US 3 north of I-93, NH: Travel US 3 east to where it intersects with US 302. Take US 302 east for several miles to where it forks with Base Road. Travel Base Road to Mt. Clinton Road. Stay on Base Road and travel 1 more mile to the trailhead by the parking area on the south side of the road.

Awesome hike. Perfect conditions yesterday... 10/17.

Great trail with amazing views. My brother highly recommended this trail and I now know why. I descended via the Jewell which makes a great loop around the Cog.

Very pretty hike. Tons of waterfalls. Took 5 hrs to the top. Rode the cogway down, which was $50 one way. Not worth that price unless you are really tired.. As others have mentioned, this is a stairmaster of a hike. The middle 0.8 miles is 35%. Don't kid yourself, it's just short of rock climb. I wouldn't call it dangerous unless you don't check the forecast or are in bad shape. I'm 6'0" and 250lb and did fine. But my legs are strong.

This was my first hike up to mt. Washington summit. Was w a friend who has done it about 6 times . Took us 4.5 hours up. A lot tougher than I thought. Be prepared w layers of clothing rain gear hat gloves, and an extra shirt to change into at summit, Due to the sweat. 80% of the time the trail was a stairway of damp slippery rocks. The trail was a little tricky after the hut. When you are in the back of the hut go to the left follow the markers than to the cairns to the summit . We took the cog down which was worth every bit of $48.

This is another one of those must do hikes. Incredible views, tough in spots, and lots of variation in terrain. Ammonoosuc trail is lots of water and smooth ledge. Up to the summit is loose boulders, on the way down lots of scrambling and rock, and then ends with a nice quiet forest setting. I am doing this same route with another group of friends next week, and cannot wait. That is how good it was. we had perfect weather, but so did the other thousand people that were on the mountain. A midweek hike would be best for those that like to be alone. The hut also closes this weekend, so bring enough food and water to make it to the summit.

Wonderful hike if you prepare properly.
For those into peak bagging, Mount Monroe is a gimme with this route.

Best route to head up Mt. Monroe. Amazing. Hope you like a lot of up!

Excellent hike.

Awesome! Hard but definitely will come back!

Great trail. First two miles are relatively easy. Third mile is significantly steeper with much scrambling. Great views of crystal clear pools and many waterfalls, so water sources are plentiful.
AMC Hut at the end of the third mile with food and drink, restrooms, eating area, water, and bunks(make reservation). The people manning the cabin are extremely helpful and knowledgable about the trails.
Last mile and a half is across the ridge, moderate and contains some gravel trails and small rock hopping. Final ascent is a little steeper(last half mile)
Bring rain gear, and extra thin warm clothes because the weather changes quickly.

This is a long, strenuous hike. I opted to wait a full 24 hours to write about. Today, my body is very sore but most of the tightness is in my upper legs. Drink a lot of water on this hike. Bring sunscreen. Wear proper footwear. Bring trekking poles for the return descent. Leave early. I clocked in at under 8 hours with a little over an hour at the top doing photography, eating and such. The first few miles in are comfortable then it's a rock scramble then rock hiking to the Lake in the Clouds. I would not suggest this to be kid-friendly as suggested. All the younger kids I did see were not enjoying themselves. The return trip was tough. Lot of steep sections. Views are epic, though. I stopped numerous times to take it in and even photograph some of it.

Gorgeous hike! We did it in foggy and stormy weather. Definitely nicer with clear sky.

Parked at Ammonosuc Ravine parking and first mile to the next trail junction is easy. One tricky river x-Ing that is hard to pick up trail on other side. Note: it goes across follows a gravelly section for a few feet and then swings up to the left.

At the trail junction it goes right and follows the main river up to gem pool. Again fairly easy section. After gem pool a mile of steep trail. At times over open rock ledge that proved slow going down in wet weather.

Then you pop out of trees and the hut is right there. We went up to summit of Washington and did Monroe. It was pretty cloudy until we hit top of Monroe and then the views were great.

Difficult but beautiful trail. Enjoyed lakes of the clouds on the way up to Washington.

Awesome