Mount Whiteface Loop Trail

Mount Whiteface Loop Trail is a 10.6 mile lightly trafficked loop trail located near Wonalancet, NH that features a great forest setting and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking, trail running, and backpacking and is accessible from May until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

There are a variety of trails in this area accessible from the most idyllic parking area hands down! These range from an hour or two to a full day or two. We chose to hike to Mount Katherine, and enjoyed an easy and leisurely paced walk through field and woods to a nice rewarding view at the top. Easter Egg: find the frog pool.

Blueberry Trail is a moderate to difficult trail. Very steep in some areas and some scrambling is required as you reach the south (false summit)..with spectacular views.. continue on another .3 miles to the actual summit marked only by a cairn. This trail can be done in (approx) 6 hours, however , we chose to rest often , enjoy the vistas and talk with other hikers making our hike 8 hours..a challengindg , but awesome day !

I took the Blueberry Ledge trail and summited Whiteface, went over to Passaconoway, and made my way down. They were my first 4000 footers, and I've been hooked ever since!

We took the Blueberry Ledge trail which is the shortest trail to the summit, 3.9 miles out and back. It starts at the parking area on Ferncroft Rd. You walk from the parking area to the end of the dirt road to reach the trailhead. The hike starts off easy and is a slight incline for the first 2 miles. You will then come to a long stretch of stair climbing that come in/out of trees that offer beautiful views of the lakes region. The last part of the hike is challenging with steep rock ledges where scaling is involved. You will reach the top of the ledges, but this is not the summit (a beautiful stopping point to have lunch). You need to continue on the Tom Wiggin trail for .3 miles. The summit is wooded and it is not officially marked, just a pile of rocks on the right of the trail. This trail is not recommended in wet or icy conditions. I took my dog however he struggled on the ledges and is extremely agile, so I would not recommend it for most dogs. There are beautiful views just below the ledges if you're not interested in reaching the summit.