Mount Shaw & Black Snout

Mount Shaw & Black Snout is a 6.6 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Center Tuftonboro, NH that features a river and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, trail running, and snowshoeing and is accessible from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

The trail was hard to find at the start because of the logging, but if you keep the stream on your left and look for a few pink markers on the trees, it can be found. (The suggestion of following the pipe also helped.) We went up the Italian trail (red and green blazes). Near the top of Black Snout, you intersect with blue blazes. On the right is a lookout and a trail away from Mt. Shaw. We went left following the blue blazes toward Snout, saw a moose, and continued until we hit the old road. Go right to get to Mt. Shaw and the LRCT signs. Blazes are white. We retraced our steps and took the trail to Mt. Turtleback to the red blazes trail that comes off on the left to get down. Steep going up and a bit gentler going down but a nice loop. Attached some photos of the signs.

Intensive logging operation for the first 0.4 miles from the parking lot (across from Sodom Road). Initially we were going to take the red-green blazed trail (Italian) but it was difficult to navigate the logging equipment and find the trail. We followed the red blazed brook side trail (Shaw Trail) instead. The incline was impressive and a great workout. Views at the summit of Shaw and Black Snout would have been beautiful had low clouds and rain not moved in. After Black Snout we wanted to continue the loop by going to Tate (Big Ball) Mountain. The trail to Tate Mountain from Black Snout was only marked by a cairn near the lookout on Black Snout. It is starting to overgrow with tall grass so we weren't really sure we were on the right trail until we encountered the blue blazes (marked VERY well once on the trail!)

A great hike that has rewarding views.

Started toward Shaw this morning on the Italian trail. Made it as far as the Tate Summit when I encountered a black bear. He took one look at me, grunted, and ran off. Continued toward Black Snout, when the weather started turning ugly. Back-tracked to the parking area just before the storm set in. I plan to continue to Shaw when the weather improves.

Great trail, but it looks like the beginnings of a logging operation just before the Shaw Trail/Italian Trail split.

The views from the top of Mount Shaw and Black Snout were definitely worth the sometimes challenging hike! As a new hiker, some of the steeper inclines with lots of rocks were hard going up and coming down. The trail is pretty clearly marked except for one small part (where I made a wrong turn) that has you traversing the river. Managed to find my way. On the way back down I stopped and stuck my feet in the cold mountain water and it was glorious! Wouldn't recommend with dogs or children due to the difficult incline I described. The small waterfalls at the beginning were beautiful and there is a good little camp site before you get into the conservation area! Will definitely take some friends next time!

Hiked this starting with Tate mountain and then made my way over to Shaw. Awesome hike and even better views! Ran into two groups of people and that was only when I got to Shaw. Highly recommend!

absolutely stunning views from the summit, trails are well marked but trailheads can tricky to find, this one is across from the Sodom road off of Mountain road in Tuftonboro.