Mount Osceola Trail

Mount Osceola Trail is a 12.7 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, New Hampshire that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Breathtaking vistas of Kancamagus wilderness with a steep incline. This hike will bring you to the highest peaks of the Sandwich Range with good views to the east despite wooded summits This is a short but steep climb to get the tallest peak in the Sandwich Range and it's sister peak East Osceola. Although both summits are wooded there are ledges on the way up East and a viewpoint towards the east from Mt. Osceola. to get there you will take the Greely Pond Trail from the Kancamangus Highway to the Mt. Osceola trail which turns off to the west just before the ponds.

21 minutes ago

Equipment/trail conditions
We started from the north side (near the east peak) at the trail head just before the hairpin turn on the kank.

Trail head is plowed but the parking lot is icey and small. It can hold probably ten cars until the overflow needs to park on the street, which is not ideal. There were signs saying we had to pay 3$ to park there but no envelopes to pay to, so this may not be enforced in the winter.

The hike is popular, and the frozen lake that is accessible from this trailhead is as well, so I would advise getting to the trail head earlier than later to ensure you have somewhere to park.

Most people were doing the hike in micro spikes or yak tracks, but crampons are recommended for the summit because it's damn steep. I completed the hike to the east peak summit using only snow shoes although I had crampons I never needed them since the snow was light. We did not traverse the chimney due to rain.

Anecdotal:

You pass over many small streams as the hike begins which empty into a lake a quarter mile detour off the trail. I was told the lake is quite beautiful, but did not go myself due to rain.

Definitely a memorable hike. The hike up is the steepest in the north east, and it shows. It is intense. This makes the way down also a great bit of fun. I recommend bringing a mountaineering pick to perform emergency stops as you sled down the mountain. Half the trail head can be sled down without a sled on your rear, with a small plastic sled I watched someone sled the majority.

Short, tough hike there were no views on the cloudy day we went, but I could see how there would be some nice views had it not rained. Decently would come back for the sledding.

Good cardio workout. Great view from the top.
I took the trail from Tripoli road and reached the summit. There is a path that leads to East Mt. Osceola from the Mt. Osceola summit which is pretty steep. There is one big rocky steep which is called "chimney" by the hikers. There is an alternate route right beside the chimney which is a bit easier. I took the other route to descend while hiking to East Mt. Osceola. There are a couple of good views on this trail but East Mt. Osceola summit doesn't offer any view. Hiked back through Mt. Osceola climbing the chimney. Hiking chimney was fun. Lovely hike.

Great hike, very rocky. Entered via tripoli road and bagged East Osceola also

Great hike, beautiful summit views and a clear Trail to follow, skipped East due to fading daylight and ice but I'll be back to do that soon!

Loved this trail! Started at tripoli road and followed the Osceola trail to the summit and back the same way. Skipped the east peak. 6.4 miles in 4 hours total. Late September, cold at the summit! Great views.

I loved it my dogs loved it. Very rocky.

Definitely a perfect beginner 4000 footer! Osceola is a really kind and forgiving mountain. Other than a bunch of rock slabs towards the top, and maybe the length of the hike, I'd say this was an easy hike. Really rocky in the beginning but it was so much fun - and that view is worth every step! You can see mountains for days. My dog had a blast leaping over and up rocks as well.

The GPS took us to Greeley Ponds instead of Tripoli Road. When we saw we could summit Mt Osceola from here we went for it! Little did we know at the start that we chose perhaps the most difficult path to the top. My16 and12 year olds LOVED IT! My husband and I did too but it was tough at times. The summit is beautiful and the climb is something to be proud of. If you're in good shape - go for it!!