Mount Major Trail

Mount Major Trail is a 3.8 mile heavily trafficked loop trail located near Alton Bay, NH that offers scenic views and is rated as moderate. The trail is primarily used for hiking, walking, and snowshoeing and is accessible from April until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

I came up here with my special lady friend at 1142 on a Thursday and the trail head was packed, there was a school bus full of kids all the parking lot spaces were filled we had to park on the side of the main road. When we proceeded to exit our vehicles I had noticed a broken glass window which we had now parked on. After gathering our gear we headed up the parking way only to find trash and shit everywhere. The public restrooms were all locked and unoccupied. There was a ripped trash bag of garbage resting on the port o John which had attracted flies and nasty. Do not recommended to anyone with class and an enjoyment for nature.

Great view from the top but quite a few people hiking up and down. Our corgi made it to the top, which surprised a lot of people! The trail up was okay, but the view at the top was breathtaking!

Great scenic views of Winnapasaukee Lake and and its little islands.

Woke up early to get here from Boston for the sunrise. Got here around 5am and there were about ten cars already here. Got to the top around 530am for an awesome view but the clouds were super low and blocked the sunrise which was a bummer. First 3/4 were fine with a headlamp and the last bit was super nice with it being above a lot of the trees!

Hiked this today (8/17/2016) ! Loved the view at the top, very surprised by the amount on people, but doesn't affect the experience or the view at the top. It's challenging if you're not used to physical activity, but not impossible. It's shade all the trail to the summit. Saw many people with their dogs :) stay hydrated ;D

Hiked Mount Major in spring-like 60*F conditions in December -- what a treat when there was no snow on the ground for skiing. This is an excellent easy/moderate hike and very dog-friendly. The lake views are a treat from the summit.

Hiked blue trail to top, well worth it and orange trail down.

Amazing view

A moderate level hike with amazing views- well worth it!! Dog friendly

Going up the orange trail was definitely a challenge but well worth it!!

It's a great hike, not too challenging but still gives you a great workout while having tons of fun!

Great light hike with enough challenge on blue trail headed up to make it memorable

Nice hike during the week

Going up the orange trail was tough but the view was very much worth it

I loved this trail. We hiked the blue harder trail and it was definitely way harder than we expected but still do able. I don't recommend bringing a non athletic dog or small children. You will have to turn around. We came back down the yellow trail. Do be sure to bring proper equipment. We wore running sneakers ( all we have) and my girlfriend and I both slipped and fell on the rocks. Have fun though. Summit is great.

Mount Major was an intense hike for sure! We took the blue trail up and the yellow trail down. The blue trail was very steep, rocky and a serious sweat producer. I honestly don't think I have ever sweat so much in my life. There are some beautiful views before the summit on the blue trail but be careful, we somehow ended off the trail around the big boulder. It isn't clearly marked to go up and over the boulder. It was a rainy morning when we went so the trail was empty which was nice. The view at the summit is breathtaking! The blue/yellow trail down was a nice break from the hike up and had a beautiful brook running downside which was relaxing. Loved this hike and the challenge! Definitely do not recommend hiking with a child in tow up blue.

Fairly easy, there were a couple spots where I needed my hands for help climbing up the rocks, but overall not a hard hike at all. Amazing views all around the summit and along the way up the blue trail.