Mount Liberty Trail

Mount Liberty Trail is a 9.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Lincoln, NH that features a river and is rated as difficult. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from January until January. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

This is a great trail. I would call it strenuous with several miles of steady climbing and then descending. The views are nothing short of spectacular. Well trafficked on weekends but mostly with serious hikers.

Highly recommended.

Incredibly difficult trail, but I loved it. Rainy weekend, so the only views were mist, but still worth the hike to the top. Your knees will hate you later.

One of the most difficult trails I did and it was totally worth it. The view from the top of Mount Liberty is simply superb.

Pretty difficult climb but worth it at the top!

Challenging hike on a rain filled day, but worth the effort just for the experience.

Very strenuous hike from the Flume Gorge Visitor. Center up the springs trail, a lot of uphill, and rocky but the view is like nothing else! So worth it, and I loved the challenge. Hiked up in just over 2 hours at a pretty speedy rate, and down in 2 hours.

Hiked up the Flume Slide trail which was challenging but very fun, then over to the Liberty summit. Really nice views and a fun hike, says 8-9 hours but took me about 6. On the way back to parking I decided to do Pemigewasset too, which was much easier but also a great view.

Amazing Views!

Amazing views. I would recommend this hike to anyone who is looking for a great day hike. I did Mt. Flume first and I would recommend doing that, then over to Liberty. Wonderful day!

Just did this yesterday 2/19/14. A very steady uphill for most of it. I think the snow pack made it easier. 3 hours to summit, 1.5 coming down. Beautiful views, though a bit cloudy and windy and very cold at the summit.

First 4000 footer and what a workout it was. The view was well worth the trip. Talked with at least a dozen people on the trail. Very rocky but moderate incline. Most of the trail was muddy. Large brook about a mile and a half into the trail. There was a small area before the Liberty Springs campsite that wasn't marked with the white blaze, but easy enough to follow. Summit was rather crowded. When it was all said and done, it was worth it.

I visited Mount Liberty last summer via Flume Slide trail - Mount Flume - Franconia Ridge - Mount Liberty - Liberty Spring Trail. I will never do this loop again. We got an early start. So early that we missed the park ranger who was warning people of the rock conditions on flume slide trail. There was mildew on the rocks that made the 3.3 mile hike/climb up extremely strenuous. The trail was not well marked. At times we thought we may have veared off track. The view was spectacular on both flume and liberty summits. If I do go back I would hike the liberty spring trail both ways. One tip I will leave you with is bring rope if you decide to take flume slide.

Excellent hike, through and through. Not a trail for beginners. The trail is steep and has a good amount of rock shelves to it. It is mostly a leg trail, no need for too much clambering. The liberty springs campsite is also enjoyable if you're a die hard tenter. Beautiful view from the top. Easy access to the rest of the ridge, but go prepared. Start early and plan on returning late if taking the ridge trail. And DO NOT take the flume trail if there is ANY bad weather. The rock faces are extremely slick when wet and they are very dangerous. Do not underestimate the trail, it is closed during wet conditions for a reason. Otherwise it is an amazing climb for advanced hiking and intermediate bouldering. Happy trails!

Very difficult, but amazing hikes. A few buddies and I actually hiked up Mt. Liberty, then ridge walked over to Mt. Flume. Both are beautiful 4000 footers, with nearly a 360 degree view from the top of both of them. We hiked up Liberty Trail, and planned on coming down Flume via the Flume Slide trail. Due to it raining the day before, I chose to take my party off the side of the mountain going down to the Lincoln Woods trail. The Flume Slide trail is very trecherous and should not be attempted during or after bad weather, and is for experienced hikers only. It may be alot shorter, but its also alot more dangerous. Going up Liberty Trail, over to Flume, then down through Lincoln Woods Trail was between 13-14 miles, so get an early head start if you plan on doing this. From the summit of Liberty, you can see all of Franconia and the notch. Also, great views of Mt. Cannon, Kinsman, Flume, and Lincoln. You can also see where the old man has fallen, if you know where to look, as well as see a bit of Profile Lake. Well worth the amount of energy exerted.