Mount Lafayette via Old Bridle Path

Mount Lafayette via Old Bridle Path is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Franconia, NH that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as difficult. The trail is primarily used for hiking and walking and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

Hiked this trail last week. We started at 10am and the hike was gorgeous. As we went, there were parts that were ice and extremely slippery. We were wearing hiking boots but some spikes on our shoes or poles may have helped us! We hiked to the abandoned house and had lunch. Continued hiking to Mt. Lafayette went along the ridge to Mt Haystack. It was windy but nothing too crazy. The views were absolutely worth my mini panic attacks. Instead of descending at Mt. haystack, we missed the trail and hike almost until Mt. Liberty. By the time the sun set, we were still in the forest trying to find our way to the highway. We finally did find our way; the hike turned into a 9 hour hike. We hitchhiked a ride back to our car. Buy a trail map! We thought that it would be marked enough but somehow missed it and almost got ourselves a free night sleeping in the forest!

Hard in the winter but it is definitely worth it

The weather at the top was...challenging...fogged in with 60+ mph winds driving eastward across the ridge, so we unfortunately didn't get the benefit of the views that one could get on a clear day, but this hike was spectacular in all other ways. Challenging, boulder-strewn, awe-inspiring alpine terrain, picturesque waterfalls, and some good technical sections to navigate. We did the loop, and it was a bit more crowded that I perhaps would have cared for, but with the accessibility of the trailhead and overall amazing-ness of the hike, I guess that's to be expected.

This mountain is no joke! Pretty brutal for the non athletically inclined, but worth it for a view unlike any other I've seen! Greenleaf hut is a great resting place to have lunch. This took me 7 hours, including an hour at the hut and a half hour on the summit. Most people were whizzing past me and probably did it in half that time. Great challenge and confidence booster :)

This is a fantastic trail. In my honest opinion, its the best trail east of the rockies (out of all of the trail i've done on the east coast.) It can be quite hard in spots, but it is well worth it. Can not recommend this trail enough!

Great views, this worth the climb.

Wow what a hike, this one really took a lot out of me. It was a cloudy day so I thought I was at the top but i was only on Mt. Lincoln and still had to climb up another 200ft. Other than that the trail was nice, falling waters is incredible steep at times and you need to keep any dogs on a short leash.

I hiked down this trail after going up the Falling Water trail. I chose to do it this way because it was a shorter distance to the top and then a more gradual incline to Lafayette. The three peaks are all awesome and worth seeing. Check out my full trip report along with some things to look out for.

Challenging...but well worth the climb.

This is a great way up and down Mt Lafayette if you are not up to the full 8 mile loop. Moderate start before a steep and eventually exposed ascent. Views are worth it.

Best option for going down from the Ridge.

You cant really beat this type of hiking in the northeast. The trail was well marked and pretty tough but the views made the workout worth it. The weather was perfect so it made for an awesome day. Of course there were plenty of people on the trail but it wasn't crowded because the hike is so spread out. Outstanding hike in the whites.

We were trying to do the ridge loop but got rained out. We started on this trail and everything started flooding so we went back down quick. There's a little river and some waterfalls so it is beautiful. A little bit up hill but nothing too steep.