Mount Lafayette and Franconia Ridge Trail Loop

Mount Lafayette and Franconia Ridge Trail Loop is a 8 mile moderately trafficked loop trail located near Franconia, NH that features a waterfall and is only recommended for very experienced adventurers. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from April until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

A fantastic strenuous ridge-hike with great views all around. This is a very popular full day hike for good reasons. On a clear day, you are unlikely to find better views in New England. Combine this with strenuous and nerve-wrecking hiking on the 'knife-edge' between Mount Little Haystack, Lincoln, and Lafayette and you have the recipe for a great day out. As a bonus you will ascend three peaks, including the highest mountain outside the Presidential Range - Mount Lafayette.

I did this hike in the beginning of October. I am 18 and I brought 3 girls I nanny, two 8 year olds, and an 11 year old. This was a challenging hike but well worth it!!!! It was on and off drizzling. Took about 8 1/2 hours... I would suggest bringing duct tape since the entire bottoms of both of my hiking boots ripped off not even one mile in the hike...met some kind lady's about 2miles up who had a small supply of tape but didn't last very long... it was very hard to hike with no sole on my shoes, very slippery, and lots of free falling rocks.. wasn't till about 4-5hours in the hike when I was about half way through the loop when I met a group of men who also had someone in their group who's soul had started to rip off but not as bad as mine.. they had a whole role of duct tape which was very helpful.. but at the end of the hike they fell off again. I would highly suggest duct tape and some shoe glue for this hike.. The kids I were with never hiked a mountain.. they really pushed them selfs to get up and down this mountain.. It was hard at some points when they wanted to give up but they made it!!! Make sure you bring lots of water and food! Lastly I would suggest you bring extra layers and gloves... PLEASE DON'T FORGET A HEAD LAMP!!!!!!! I was dumb and stopped at the Greenleaf hut, when it was starting to get dark... The man who worked at the hut was nice enough and gave me a head lamp for free!! We were in the pitch dark for 15mins... this was very hard since all the kids were in a panic!! But as soon as we got to the car around 7:30 they were fine. Overall this is a beautiful trail!!! Just remember to be fully prepared for high winds and strong weather changes when you get to the top!!

Amazing hike

Did this when the fall colors where prime and the weather was perfect. It was difficult but my 8 and 9 year old dogs made it fine! The views were spectacular!

The beauty was beyond words.

Nice, but very exhausting hike! The view was not very good due to the foggy weather.

Very difficult. But the prize is the 360 degree views along the ledge. Well worth it.

Great hike, amazing views on a clear day which we had.

Tough but worth it!! Unbelievable panoramic views of the whites

Perfect day hike. Weather was perfect. A bit more people on the trail than I expected for an early Friday trip, but who could blame them v