Mount Israel Trail

Mount Israel Trail is a 3 mile lightly trafficked out and back trail located near Center Sandwich, NH that features a waterfall and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until November. Dogs are also able to use this trail.

Great easy hike, make sure you go to the second peak, as we almost stopped at the first thinking we were at the top. We came up from the mead base conservation Center.

Fantastic. Steady up the whole way and really beautiful.

excellent hike with amazing views

Good intermediate level hike. Rocky and rooty paths, if it was wet (but wasn't today) may be very slippery. All-trails app says it is a 3 mile hike but a sign at the beginning if the hike says it is 4 miles.

Moderate is a good label for this trail. Enjoyed it with my two sons (12 and 13) and my father (almost 70). It's a steady climb the whole way but is not overwhelming. It was a hot and humid day at the base but the trail was shaded the whole way with a beautiful breeze and gorgeous views at the summit. Don't get tricked by the false summit, keep hiking to the summit marker and you'll be rewarded with some beautiful mountain and lake views. It is longer than 3 miles, as others have stated already- the trail marker at the base says 2 miles to the summit.

A good hike, not too difficult and good views mid-way and at the top.

Beautifully built and maintained.

Easy trail with great views at the top. Perfect family hike. It was a super hot muggy day and the bugs were pretty unforgiving. This would be a great spring hike...lots of potential for small waterfalls along the trail.

Intense hike for a family. We saw a bear cross our path! Very few bugs. Well maintained.

Incredible day for a hike. This is a very moderate hike. There are no tricky Boulder climbs or edge spots. Great trail to top and the views were stunning. We went up Wentworth and took Guinea Pond trail down which is not recommended. We hiked it back up and continued down Wentworth. This is strictly an in and out hike. Time frame is probably about 2.5-3 hours for in and out depending on speed. Hard to gauge time because we thru in the extra 3.5 miles going up and down Guinea which added to our day.

Was my first hike this spring , so a bit out of shape but so glad I did it. Steep in some parts . Took the Wentworth Trail and it was 3 miles to the top. This trail says 3 miles out and back but it's really 6 out and back! Still icy in spots but well worth the view! May try another way up next time!

This turned out to be a fun, yet challenging hike. I did it with two friends while we were vacationing and looking for a quick day hike. This took us about three hours, and we are very inexperienced hikers. We did the Wentworth trail and it proved to be a lot steeper than we expected. It is basically a straight up hike the whole way to the outlook. The outlook provides fantastic views. It's not too much further from the outlook to the false summit. We thought we had reached the top so we quickly ate, but then realized there was a bit further to go. We summited, but had to quickly snap pictures and begin out descent. There were thunderstorms quickly moving in. Going down proved to be quite the challenge. It is basically a climb all the way down, and for those out of shape, and prove to be strenuous on the knees. The trail overall was well marked, but there were two or three points when we weren't entirely sure which fork to take. We were able to figure it out with minimal difficulty though.

I was looking for a trail to run but this was quite difficult. I did a little running but it was too steep and very wet from rain the day before. I fell twice and ended with soaking wet feet. I wondered a few times if I somehow got off the trail but then I'd come across a yellow mark or "stairs" that let me know I was still on the right path. There was SO much water. I'm definitely not an experienced hiker but I've been running for about 4 years. That meant nothing. This trail totally kicked my butt. I feel bad ass for actually going up to the first outlook. I didn't go all the way up but must have been close. It was about 4 miles for me and took a couple hours. It was a great challenging trail overall.

Great view of other great peaks from the summit. Easy and casual.

Great Sunday day hike, especially in 1st week of October. I started it at 1015 am and reached summit at about 1130. Pretty rugged terrain. Lots of roots, stumps, and rocks that where we'll hidden under some freshly shed leaves.
I did the Wentworth trail on the way up and did the Mead trail to Guinea pond which wasn't really worth it, but I will head to black mountain pond next time. In all hike took me and the pups about 5hrs.
If you have dogs and limited chore Sundays than this is a great hike for you! Mick, Gilley and I will be back!
Oh and grab a beer and a bite at the corner house on the way out!

great panoramic view at top of mountain! nice steep climb ALL the way to the top for a great work out and 2000 calorie burn by HRM. only complaint was 3 forks with no yellow marking

Hiked this one this morning. Great hike in my opinion. There were spots where there was standing water on the trail so we had to carefully navigate around it. Overall, fun experience. Great views, good workout.

This is a good hike, once you find the Trailhead. Look for the Mead Conservancy Center northwest of Sandwich Center. The trail is well marked with a consistent upgrade from bottom to top. It is rocky in places but not overly difficult. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone out of shape however.

Not in Groveton, in Center Sandwich!

Mt Israel is a fairly rugged 3 (?) hour hike. Part way up there is an ancient oak tree with old stone walls. About 2/3 way up is a view and rest stop. Near the first summit is the junction of a trail that heads down the west side to the Sandwich Notch. After reaching the first real summit (view) continue over and down through a col to find the real summit. A treat with great views and good sized cairn.