Mount Sunapee Summit

Mount Sunapee Summit is a 4.1 mile moderately trafficked out and back trail located near Newbury, NH that features beautiful wild flowers and is rated as moderate. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible from March until October. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

old growth

A beautiful view of Lake Solitude!

Def worth trying, esp for a 1/2 day outing. Took my dog and we didn't see one person on the way up (on a Weds morning). Met one person at top that just finished monadnock trail (50 miles in 5 days--cool!) The people we saw on the way down were very dog friendly. I had to put him on leash from parking lot to trail start, but after that it was freedom. Prob different on a weekend. Very friendly place and staff at trail head.

I gave this a four. It was not my favorite hike, the trail is often very narrow and can't walk through without brushing vegetation out of the way. Combined with the horse flies, I don't know if I recommend it to friends.

Why the four star then? Bathrooms at the trailhead, a gorgeous view and a nice shady place to sit (under cover for weather too) at the summit. I'm glad we hiked it, but I don't think I'll go again.

I enjoyed this hike a lot. The first mile was pretty easy as you slowly incline. The second mile was when the incline got a lot steeper but wasn't difficult as it was like steps with the tree roots and rocks. I went on a really nice 70 degree weather day and didn't see a single person hiking up or down, which was odd but peaceful. I saw a couple people at the summit. Views were absolutely beautiful.

Easy and pretty little hike. Nice places for picnics at the top, around the lake, which looks pristine and is stocked for people who like to fish. Quite a few friendly dogs on the trail. We saw an elaborate set of plastic pipes for sugar maple harvesting near the bottom, which was very cool.

Nice hike
up hill all the way, more like stairs with all the rocks and tree roots
Well worth the hike

Simply breathtaking. A little piece of heaven.

Really nice views from the top of the ledges overlooking Lake Solitude on your way to the top of Mt Sunapee... or maybe just your original destination.

This is a great spot! The white ledges look out over lake solitude - it's beautiful!