Kancamagus Highway Scenic Drive

Kancamagus Highway Scenic Drive is a 58 mile heavily trafficked out and back trail located near North Woodstock, NH that features a waterfall and is good for all skill levels. The trail offers a number of activity options and is accessible year-round. Dogs are also able to use this trail but must be kept on leash.

wheelchair friendly

scenic driving

A lot of traffic everywhere on a busy Saturday!

scenic driving

We come here all the time, so beautiful, coming from MA usually we start on the Lincoln side and it's just great, this year we started on the Conway side and is not as pretty as the other side.

A truly beautiful drive. The energy was positive and grateful, something that carried over most of New Hampshire to the end of the border of Maine (unfortunately Maine lacked this positive vibe, boooo). The highway is 2855 ft above sea level, surrounded by great mountain on all sides, and water_ways leading into the Atlantic Ocean. And the colors, oh the amazing colors and foliage of New Hampshire! The changing greens, yellows, reds, purples, and pinks, and the ruffled beady textures were a perfect birthday gift. Certain parts of it lead into the wilderness of the White Mountain State forest where the are plenty of serene trails to explore. There were signs to watch out for Moose but we didn't see any :{ I really want to see some moose now! (that's my goal) The Franconia Notch highway connects to this one, and the Franconia mountains along with the Old Man one may be seen. Plus there are a bunch of overlook and stop areas throughout the drive. This was a super awesome part of the 24 hour road~trip!

Breathtaking. The White Mountains have changed my life. I'm hoping to find a teaching job up here so I can move here.

my wife and I love coming up here and exploring new places to camp and hike. It's always worth the drive.

scenic driving

It has been many years since I did the Kancamagus in the fall. Even though the foliage was past peak it was still beautiful everywhere except the high country. One nice thing about a week day past peak foliage was the light crowds.

scenic driving

One of the most beautiful scenic drives anywhere. There are a lot of cool places to stop and enjoy rapids, forest, mountains and more. I really love it in the fall.

Probably rate this as most scenic drive in New Hampshire

Beautiful drive! Every few miles you can just park and start hiking one of the many trails right off the highway. There are tons of vistas with amazing views. Definitely a must do if you are in that part of NH. Happy driving!

scenic driving

In my opinion, the best scenic drive in New England. Plenty of scenic overlooks on the White Mountains and plenty of trailheads and areas to park & take a dip into the icy cold Pemi River or Swift River.

I've driven this at least 100 times in my life in all conditions. Whenever I'm in the White Mtns, this is a must stop & check out. From Lincoln Woods, Otter Rocks, The Gorge, Lower Falls, any of the trailheads of waterfalls.

scenic driving

One I've done several times. One of the most beautiful rides in the country. Gorgeous river & mountains. Plenty of nice places to stop, smell the roses, picnic & relax. Incredible in the fall. Road can be rough going in the winter if it hasn't been plowed yet. But it's still pretty with snow. Plenty of camping & local motels, since it really takes more than one day to see what it has to offer & take it all in. Plenty of trails & riverside walking. Good chances of seeing a moose or bear. Plenty of deer. Take plenty of pictures. Plenty of nearby attractions & parks. Some good fly fishing on the feeder streams if you're into trout. Local history.

scenic driving

Loved it. Definitely have to hike some trails one of these days!!

scenic driving

I have traveled this route a number of times over 50 years. Despite how busy the road is in any drivable season, it is a classic for scenery of mountains, forest, river, etc. It is spectacular in the fall, when it is incredibly busy. Somehow, word about New England foliage leaked out. In a good year, it is better than you've heard. In a bad year, it still beats almost anyplace else.